Formation of Spitfire IX Squadron

Detail of how pilots can use non Squadron aircraft.
Danny
Site Admin

Re: Formation of Spitfire IX Squadron

Post by Danny »

I’m in too please
Wing Commander Andrew 'Danny' Daniel - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chris

Post by Chris »

So Bakers dozen at the moment,

Yogi
Chris 'Yankee'
Pinetree
Phil
Chris 'Gizzy'
Weasel
wee Neal
Scooby
Jack
Steve
Neil
Chris 'Fodder'
Danny

Proposed Set up:
  • Squadron name? Preference? Maybe a historical refence from RL issued with the Spitfire but may a nod to the mustang, P47 and Mosquito as I am sure these too will develop competent pilots and be part of a later mix.
  • No CO / OC but volunteer XO to set dates, outings, etc... Keen volunteers one pace forward please... ideally no other RAF Air SQN duties and has an idea of all the squadrons would be great.
  • No QFI's or QWI's - who is competent to certify that title and to what standard or reference?
  • IP's certainly. An IP can be thought of a person who knows the airframe well and is competent in it's use and tactics. They are named 'IP' by the XO on behalf of the group and are the 'go to' resource. There can be more than one. Pinetree has already volunteered / pressganged to be the first - only downside he flies WW2" with another group Sunday nights.
  • Sunday night 730pm 'ish communal get together although of course any other night will do to pass on knowledge / have some fun etc...
Views please...
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Duke

Post by Duke »

How about 41 Squadron, officially the Royal Air Force is the RAF's Test and Evaluation Squadron, seems fitting as we are all testing a new path in RAF Air.

Here's wiki link; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._41_Squadron_RAF

They had pilots from various countries around the world, so also fitting for us :-)

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Looks good to me.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Chris

Post by Chris »

Good suggestion Chris. Link is a good read too.... formal application made for 41 SQN Stand Up.
Kind Regards

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I'd personally stay clear of 41 squadron considering the OCU still use those skins (as it was there go to squadron name) for their F18's and having Will very much a part of them (being the ex real life commander of the squadron) I'd feel we should not use 41 out of respect for him and his actual achievements.

But thats just my opinion of course, its up to the masses.
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chris

Post by Chris »

No worries Matt, we can and will look for something else to align to.

I must say however that I find things confusing with 41 SQN being stood down and OCU become 16(R)Sqn F18 OCU and then you have 54 SQN but that was a very strange time in RAF Air politics that caused Will to step back from RAF Air front end.

I would not for a minute think that Will would be offended or felt disrespected by using 41 for Spitfires but I might be wrong and truly it is of no relevance which badge we adopt.

Talking respect, perhaps the practice of awarding real medal designations for daring deeds in DCS should be reviewed ... to me that is disrespectful...
Kind Regards

Mad dog

Post by Mad dog »

How about 19 Sqn:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._19_Squadron_RAF

They flew Spit Mk IX and Mustangs. Douglas Bader was with them for a time until he moved to 242 Sqn and they are a reasonably famous Sqn that was disbanded in 2011 so no conflicts.
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

Chris

Post by Chris »

Yes, I too was looking at XIX SQN, a good choice Steve.

This quote may ring bells with some here :) :
No. 19 Squadron became the first squadron in the RAF to operate the Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I......... The squadron lost its first Spitfire when K9792 crashed on landing at RAF Duxford on 20 September 1938, having only been delivered on 16 August.
Another good link is that the SQN switched to the Mustang in '44 and then later back to Spits.

Any other views...
Kind Regards

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Whilst I would dearly love to see the Spit wearing a 41sqn coat, I don't think it appropriate given that Will (ex OC 41 Sqn on early 90s) is still training the OCU boys.

I think that if any aircraft should get 41, then it should be F18s if they want it.

You boys have already mentions two main ones in 19 and 242.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “Squadron Aircraft”