Squadron Enrollment

Here you will find information about 97 Sqn members and the Sqn in general. If you are new to us, please take a look
w00k

Re: Squadron Enrollment

Post by w00k »

Hi all! I have recently been accepted into RAF AIR UK and I would like to enrol, please!
Pilot Officer Neil "w00k" Lancaster - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Hi w00k,

Welcome to the mighty 97 sqn.

I am sure that Paul Ratcliffe (Paul(Dragon)0043) will read this msg, but in the meantime shoot him a pm with a few dates/times when you would be available for an initial flight.

Richard
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

w00k

Post by w00k »

Thanks, Richard! I'm due to meet Paul today @ 2pm in TS.
Pilot Officer Neil "w00k" Lancaster - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Welcome, 97 a great sqn. I dont get on a regularly as Id like but Paul, Richard, Geoff and Andrew are regular flyers.
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Wulbhoy78

Post by Wulbhoy78 »

Hi, I would love to join the Squadron, to say I'm green is an understatement but I have the free time to be able to improve.

Wulbhoy78

Post by Wulbhoy78 »

Hi, I would love to join the Squadron, to say I'm green is an understatement but I have the free time to be able to improve.

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Welcome to 97 Sqn. The A-10 is a good aircraft to start on. It is relatively conventional and easy to fly. However, it carries a very wide range of weapons and is very versatile.

You say that you are green, but it will help to have a bit more information.

You will need to be able to get onto the DCS server, and then onto the RAF Air Server. The first will allow you to fly basic missions, including some training ones and the second to fly with other RAF Air members, which is when you can learn to fly as part of a Flight.

I suggest you work through the first 5-6 flights in the 'Instant Action' section, using the A-10C - preferably the A-10C2, which is what most of us fly now. That will cover how to start the aircraft, get airborne and land again (not necessarily prettily - but preferably safely - most of the time anyway). There is no dual-control A-10 unfortunately, so it is pretty much a self-help basis until you can run through these basics. I have a fairly comprehensive set of step-by-step instructions for doing most things from basic start to weapons, air-to-air refuelling etc. You will find a Kneeboard very useful; either a real one, or an on-screen one - there is a free version of the latter available.

I am around for an hour or so most afternoons, and there will usually be one or two on our server each evening. You should be able to find someone who will fly alongside you and give you wise words of encouragement, which should help the process.

I suggest you put up some dates and times when you have an hour or so to spare, and someone will respond, I am sure. Just post it on this Topic and wait for responses.

Look forward to flying with you.

Sorry, one final point, you will obviously need a headset, for comms and discussion, and you will find a Track IR or VR headset almost essential. If you need any help in choosing these, again ask here.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

0415 Falcon

Post by 0415 Falcon »

Hello everyone!!!
It's been such a long time...
I hope everyone is well. Yesterday i installed again DCS after almost 2 years(wow time flies).
I am planning to get into the A10(hat switches are never enough :lol: ) seat again, if you have some space available, otherwise i can try to choose another module.
I wrote on the whatsapp group but it seems only Andrew is active there, do you have another comm platform that is being used or only site messaging/posting?
I might need your help to get up to date on software used, mission timing etc.
I also saw a fancy helmet was added, not too shabby!!!

Falcon
Flying Officer Filip " Falcon " - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Welcome back Falcon. Yes we have spaces in 97. At present we have around 4-8 regular users, so there should always be space. I tend to stick with the Teamspeak comms system for initial contact and chat etc, although many use Discord (I cannot stand it and consider it very appropriately named).

As for the Helmet Mounted Sight (HMC). Yes, that is a new addition, and some members swear by it. I find it a little difficult to use with Track-IR, but those that use VR find it easier to use. You can certainly fly without it. The main differences with the A-10C-2 are that it is a little faster, and has one or two new weapons - the guided rocket being the most useful in my view.

You will not find much changed on the software we use, although I suspect we will switch from SRS to the DCS version of 'voi' radio within the next few weeks, once it is completed and the bugs ironed out.

The best thing to do is to log in on Teamspeak and see if anyone is there. Evenings are obviously most popular but there will often be one or two members around. I generally look in every day or so.

If you want to fix up a more definite date, I suggest you post times when you will be available on the 97 Sqn thread. I am sure you will find one or two of the 'retired or unemployed' - like me - willing to fly. In the meantime, have a look at the standing missions on our 4 Servers. There will be A-10 training missions on some of them.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Hi w00k & Falcon.
Long time no hear Falcon.. Look forward to flying with you again.
w00k, have you flown your check ride with Paul yet?
I exclusively fly the A10CII. Unlike Alan, I love the HMD, and not a fan of the laser rockets or laser mavs.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Return to “Squadron Admin”