LASTE training

0413 Luis

LASTE training

Post by 0413 Luis »

Hi everyone.

As planed, I am preparing a training mission to wind compensation in A-10C.

The scenario will be the Target Range in Persian Gulf, but with wind/temp as follow:

Temp - 27°C
At 33 ft 24 kts - Direction 90°
At 6600 ft 45 kts - Direction 80°
At 26000 ft 52 kts - Direction 64°

The goal is to drop GPS guided (GBU 38 and CBU 105) on static and moving targets using LASTE wind compensation.
Other payload can be decided during briefing.

As for input altitude and wind is necessary to convert meters to feet, here is a link to download a excel sheet with magnetic variation for Persian Gulf.
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AOi ... 66E12DF8CB (thank you Phlash)

Please note, I think there is a error on it. It gives a MagVar of 13 for PG, but several research I did the values for DCS seem to be as follow:
CAUCASUS ≈ -6°
NEVADA ≈ -12°
NORMANDY ≈ +1°
PERSIAN GULF ≈ -2°
Last edited by 0413 Luis on 18 Jun 2020, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: LASTE training

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Looking forward to it.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Phlash

Post by Phlash »

Raises hand!

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Geoffs' booted and suited.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

My conclusion about LASTE is .... don't waste time.
We have done several attempts with MK-82, both in CCRP and CCIP and the result was the same with or without wind correction.
The only thing I notice was the position change from the fall guide line, but the result was the same.
I also try in Persian Gulf and Caucasus with GBU 38 at 15000ft with and without LASTE, with same wind conditions and the result was the same.
So, in my opinion, LASTE is not well done in DCS, or I don't understand it.

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

But from yesterday mission I took a very good thing, fly in strong wind was great.

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Luis, my understanding is that the GBU-38 is guided (by its internal INS) during its fall, and so for the wind to have any real effect it would have to be very high.

The CBU-105 is also "corrected for wind" during its fall, but that would not be so effective, and I don't believe that the bomblets, once dispensed do have a correction - although they can search for a likely target. However without knowing how the correction is applied I do not know how effective it is. Certainly in a high wind (which we rarely have in DCS), I aim vey slightly up-wind, and I reduce the dispersal height. However I am never sure how effective either of those measures are. Certainly for GBU-97, which has no wind correction, I use both of these techniques.

It's worth setting up a practice mission dropping in which you drop a series of different CBUs and, once released, 'Active Freeze' (LShift+LWin+Pause) the aircraft and go to 'Watch Weapon' (F6). I do this a lot with all the weapons and find it very instructive to see how they manoeuvre before impact - for cluster weapon in particular you can see how the bomblets deploy, gain height, float down under their chutes (with any wind causing them to drift), and eventually chose a ground target.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

Thank you Alan for all the detailed information.
We also try MK82AIR at low level. In cross wind was impossible to release.
The good think after all was the training itself with wind, everything changes ...
If I may, I would like to ask, as pilot, there is a limit for wind conditions to be flyable, like with visibility?

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

The only significant wind limitation is for take-off and landing.

At height, wind will normally only affect navigation. The exceptions are in or near mountainous terrain, where you can get severe up and down displacements, and clear air turbulence (CAT) from wind sheer at height.

The main effect is take-of, and landing, where there will be limits defined for each aircraft in the that aircraft's handling manual. Typically, for the type of aircraft we fly, the crosswind limit will be between 20 and 30 kts, and the absolute speed limit around 40. All of these speeds are at ground level. Limits will also be dependent on stores carried etc.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Training Mission Briefings”