Op Ellac, Tuesday 27th July

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Op Ellac, Tuesday 27th July

Post by Flyco »

Paul, I have just done a practice run, with Mavs, M282s and GBU-12s. Fired 7 weapons during 4 runs, taking just under 20 mins. Obviously without any red interference other than a non-radar ZSU, that was not very effective at the height I was flying (6,000 - 7500 ft amsl).

Fired 4 Mavs during 2 passes (three hits - one overshot); 1 GBU during a short single pass; and a Mav and a M282, during a third pass (all hits). The whole took less than 20 mins in the target area. It would be a bit slower with multiple ac in the pattern, but it should be feasible for 4-5 A-10s to take out everything within 50 minutes. I am sure that someone with more nimble fingers than mine should be able to get 3 weapons off on a single pass (e.g. 2 mavs and GBU or M2822).

I suggest that a pair go for the Artillery (2 groups of 7 pieces), and the rest (i.e. 2-3) go for the IFVs (4 groups of 6-7 vehicles). I have cheated a little by loading the ac with 6 Mavs (WE got Command approval!), plus 42 M282 LGRs, and a pair of GBU-12s. It will need a bit of sound discipline in the target area, and everyone needs to follow the same pattern at around 200 kias (I set 85% and left it there).

I will write the brief on the above basis, if you are content.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Yep, go ahead ,Alan, sounds a good plan.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Phlash

Post by Phlash »

Count me in for Tuesday please.

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

First draft of A-10C brief for Tuesday is attached, together with a simple map. Please advise if there is anything unclear. Allocation to Flts will depend on numbers attending.
Attachments
Tgt Map.png
Tgt Map.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 1426 times
Op Ellac Flt Brief.pdf
(761.04 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Still places available for those with a destructive bent. Roll up, Roll up.
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
My circumstances have changes. Can I have an A-10CII please?

Brief looks fine. Clear and precise. Have you decided artillery and AFV target allocation?

I have one concern. The SA6 and Hawk at Gecitkale. Our TOT is 0345hrs. 1F SA6 TOT is 0347hrs. The SA6 is 10nm from our targets. The Hawk is closer. The contours will provide no cover.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Just keep your head down!

We will be firing from around 3- 6 nm S of our target at about the same time that the F1 strike is going in. I think the SAM will have other things on its mind. We will also be right on the limit of the SAM’s range as we turn out. With decent ECM and a good lookout ahead I don’t think it will be a problem. If it does come looking our way, it is likely to see the Mavs as higher priority targets.

As ever, watch your RWR and listen for your missile warner. If you see or hear a real threat, turn, chuck out flares and chaff, and head for the deck. I am not sure what red air will be present, I would be more worried about them firing through the cloud layer at us.

That’s why we get flying pay!
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Just had another look, Geoff. As I understand it the SAM-6 is not yet operational, and the Hawk, appears to be a radar unit without any missiles.

I'm not too worried about them, particularly since I am going to assign the artillery targets to Paul!
Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

I'd been following this, I wondered when you'd realise I'm really not that nasty.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

The pre-take-off brief for tomorrow's flight is attached.

Please ensure that you read it - I shall not be covering this level of details before we fly. I will cover only any changes.

This means, that if you have any questions, you must post them on this thread before 1500 tomorrow. I will reply on this thread by 1700.

It looks as though we have a flight of 4 (Pont-1 - I think), and a flight of 2 (Pont-2). I will lead Pont-1. Anyone who wants to bid for a specific slot do so, again on this thread, asap.

OC 97 Sqn's decision will be final.
Attachments
Op Ellac Flt Brief.pdf
(786.66 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”