Op Ellac, Tuesday 27th July

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
309 Geoff

Re: Op Ellac, Tuesday 27th July

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
I would prefer Pont 2 artillery. Happy to lead, if required.

My comments/questions are:-
1. The F16s (FORD) are operating to our NE, not SE.
2. I have not been very successful with my laser rockets, against the vehicles. Only managed 1 kill per run in.
3. The Pont 2 artillery is clear from friendlies. Can I re-arm with a single cluster? I'll test the cluster this PM, because the cross-wind is strong.
4. Are 97Sqn aircraft shown as Pontiac, or Boar/Hog, in the actual miz we will be using tonight?
5. Are net settings 1-X, or split into 2 groups 1-X, 2-X?
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Geoff, the F-16s are transitting to our SE, that should be the only time we will see them.

Yes that is a problem with LGRs, they are too slow and require continuous guidance. Unfortunately, we are limited to 6 Mavs per ac, and it will not be feasible to use more than the occasional GBU. Cluster weapons are specifically prohibited. Given these limitations, I think LGRs are the best option. With only 2 ac attacking the Artillery, you can shorten the run in to around 4-5 nm or less.

It now looks as though we will be Pontiac-1 and Pontiac-2. Net settings to be 97-11 to 97-15.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Hi Alan, I am happy to fly on Geoff's wing attacking the artillery sites. If that is ok with you?
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

That's fine by me. I will Lead Pontiac-1 with Richard and Phlash, plus one spare slot for any latecomers
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Geoff the key with multi rockets is to pick tgts that are not close together but are still in the same direction. If you do this it will give longer flight time for second, third etc so you have time to move the tgp.

Just remember to leave the laser firing whilst moving the tgp so the rocket will follow you
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I had not thought of that Richard. However, I am so slow slewing my laser head that I think I would plot a dotted line on the ground between my first and my second target, marked with LGR scars.

Once all the Mavs are gone, we can shorten the run in. We just need to keep a good tally on where everyone is. I know it’s a million to one shot, but I do feel a little worried about someone behind me putting a missile up my chuff.

I reduced the run-in speed to around 200-220, so as to allow up to 3 Mavs on each run-in. And don’t forget to trim - its quite keen to roll with 3 Mavs on one wing and none on the other.
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Flyco wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 11:21 I know it’s a million to one shot, but I do feel a little worried about someone behind me putting a missile up my chuff.
Rest assured Alan I wouldn't do that.

I'd use the gun instead as those rockets are way too expensive to use for a blue kill😂😂
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Very minor change to procedure for Potiac-2 this evening (that is you Geoff & Paul). Because your target is north of ours, both flights cannot make the same TOT exactly. Therefore, I will split you from main group about 1 minute before WP 3.

When released Geoff, turn on to heading for WP 10 (your IP), but keep your speed up at around 240 kias, until you fire your first Mav (that will be around 1 min after passing the IP) That way your first hit should only be around 1-2 min after our nominal TOT. You can slow down to around 210 after that to give you more time to set up your second and possible third launch on your first and subsequent runs-in.

The other thing to note is that the Harriers run in is almost parallel to yours around 1-2 nm to your West, also at 7000 ft, according to the plan. I believe they will be getting airborne 2-3 minutes before us, so they should be out of your way, but I do not know if they are planning multiple runs

So be careful up thar y'all hear?
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan, Richard,
All noted.
ImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

A 90sec YouTube showing why Pontiac 5 & 6 failed to make their TOT. Good call from COLT lead to taxi round the loop to avoid our craters.

https://youtu.be/FKBs46JD7iM
ImageImageImage

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”