Op Ellac Re-Run Tuesday 3rd August, pilots apply here.

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Op Ellac Re-Run Tuesday 3rd August, pilots apply here.

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

As subject says, I want revenge, so will be attending this.

Alan make any changes to plan and forward to Andrew please.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Re: Op Ellac Re-Run Tuesday 3rd August, pilots apply here.

Post by 309 Geoff »

Sorry, I'm in Lincolnshire all week.
Fly safe 97.
Last edited by 309 Geoff on 29 Jul 2021, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

It is going to require a significant change of route, I think. One of the Shilka is tucked into a corner shielded by walls and with a lot of stuff near it. It will not be possible to get a lock on from the original route in until at the most 3-4 nms.

I will take a look at it tomorrow morning.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul, things are now back on track. It looks as though it is going to be best to send a pair ahead of the main flight, to take out the Shilkas and possibly the 57mm guns.

This pair will need to attack simultaneously from East and West, before the main flight join from the South, about 3-5 mins later. I envisage the first pair getting airborne at 03:25. , with the rest 5 mins later. However, there is no reason why we shouldn’t go en-mass with the main Flt holding off to the South until the main threats are knocked out.

I should be able to come up with a skeleton tomorrow. I would like to lead the first pair if that is OK with you.
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Yep not a problem Alan.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Count me in please guys
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Route is largely the same. The en-route speed will be reduced to make the required T/O and TOT times, and I will put a short hold in it to assist us to make accurate TOT.

Given the additional AAA and the prohibition on collateral damage, the 2 ship will get airborne first and do a mini-SEAD from the south-east, across the line of targets to take out the 2 Shilka and 2 ZSU-57s, using Mav and/or M282s. The positions of these four targets are pre-entered into the Nav system, so it should not be difficult to locate and lock them up. This pair will then clear in the remaining four to take out the four AFV groups,. The two-ship will then depart to deal with the 2 artillery batteries about 5 nm to the north.

I plan to lead the first pair, with a competent wingman, who need to be able to get of a pair of aimed missiles (M282 or Mav at their preference), within a minute. Run in is around 6-10 nm.

The AFVs are the same as last time - 4 groups of 6-7 vehicles. Weapons are Mavs, M282s and GBU-12s. No cluster weapons are allowed.

I will publish a brief on Monday.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul, my proposed routing for this Tuesday's Op Ellac is attached. Can you take a look at it before I send it to Andrew.

As previously explained, the 2-ship will go first and take out the four AAA Units situated among the main four AFV target groups. To get a clear run and shot at the AAAs they need to come in from the SE, and should take about 4-5 minutes in the area to dispatch them all. I have set the TOT for this group at 03:45, as required by the Frag. This 2-ship will then move north to take out the artillery, leaving the 4 AFV groups for the main A-10 force (be it 4 or less, they should be able to do this).

Because we have a limited time slot to get airborne, and the requirement to make a TOT, I have set the first pair to take off 2 minutes ahead of the 4-ship. This will fit us into the allotted time-slot, but we can taxy together, with the two-ship taxying first. However, it will mean that you will have to do an orbit or two before reaching your coast-in/IP. I have not built that in, but a single 15 degree orbit at your WP 3 should do the trick. There is not enough time between T/O and TOT to get the required separation by time difference I am afraid.
We will call on R/T once the AAAs are down.

Take a look at it and let me know if you are content. As I say, I would like to lead the 2-ship with a competent Maverick shooter alongside me (one man could do it, but that is likely to add a good 5 minutes to the time before the main force can come in). I assume that you will lead the main force.

I will wait to hear from you before I forward the Mission. I will also delay putting out the brief until Monday afternoon to give you time to consider the proposal.
Attachments
INTEL-ELLACII-V1-03-08 - A-10.miz
(1005.8 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Just had a look, all looks good, lets go with it Alan.

Yes I will lead the main force against the AFV targets.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

A first version of the brief and a sketch map for this operation are attached.

Please let me know if anyone spots any 'howlers' or requires additional information.
Attachments
Op Ellac 2 Flt Brief.pdf
(782.24 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Basic map.png
Basic map.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1431 times
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”