Op Ellac Re-Run Tuesday 3rd August, pilots apply here.

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Op Ellac Re-Run Tuesday 3rd August, pilots apply here.

Post by Flyco »

Some of you may have seen that there has been an elevation error in plotting some of our targets for tonight's mission. There is also a significant position error in one of the Shilkas (one of MY targets!!).

Andrew is trying to fix this. However, for the main force, the error should not be critical. The locations given are approximately in the middle of the target groups, and is an incorrect elevation (too high by 100 ft). Thus you may need to look slightly in front of your target area as you approach it. It will not affect aiming.

However, if Andrew cannot correct the Shilka position error this may delay the final TOT, while we locate it and set up a clear run-in to it. Shouldn't take more than an extra 3-5 minutes (I hope).
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Message received and understood, Alan.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Understood Alan. The mighty 97 are more than up to the task though so never worry
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
So sorry to be missing this mission, I would have forcefully volunteered to be your wingman tonight.
Watch out for the AAA travelling South between the artillery.
Fly safe all.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Thanks Geoff - we will miss you. I plan to take a mini-detour to knock out the Shilka with the tank group, between the SEAD and the Artillery to the north.

Everything seems to be pretty much as the brief now, thanks to Andrew. So all we need to do is make sure the Boss stays away from trouble. I promised his Chiefy that I wouldn't let him make holes in his new aircraft!
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Thanks, guys. Seemed to go OK, and I have put in our after-flt report. I am kicking myself about that stray Shilka that did me damage. It should have clicked when Richard couldn't find it at its destination. I was lucky to get away alive after overflying it in a straight line at 5000-6000 ft at least 2 or 3 times!

I gave up counting kills - we got a total of around 35, and they seemed to be fairly evenly split. Thanks for the help getting back, I should have remembered that Akrotiri was just south of the lake - I've been there often enough! I was sure that the A-10 had a back up hydraulics for the brakes - I will have to scour the manual.

A case of playtime reflecting real life. We had a Herc roll into a hangar at Kingsfield, when the crew closed own both engines on one side while they got out top have their pictures taken in front of the aircraft!!!! Unfortunately the engines that they shut down were on the side that powered the hydraulic brakes, and they were very slow switching on the back-up electric hydraulic pump. Fortunately they were a UK crew, who had borrowed the aircraft from Akrotiri-based 70 Sqn, so they got back to UK on time - I remember hearing their de-brief from their CO, and we were based on the other side of Lyneham!
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”