Tuesday 21st Sep Mission, Pilots Required.

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Tuesday 21st Sep Mission, Pilots Required.

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Evening of Tuesday 21st mission posted, Link for mission overview here: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5048. Pilots required. Participants, post below please.

I will be attending this one.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Re: Tuesday 21st Sep Mission, Pilots Required.

Post by 309 Geoff »

Paul,
Count me in. I'm happy to plan, and lead the mission, as you requested.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Nice one, Geoff.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Paul,
Here is my plan for the 21st.
Faux Fulda Intel Map 97Sqn02.miz
(92.82 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Eight aircraft (Pontiac 1-8). All waypoints and loadouts are the same. We will have to re-arm. Pontiac split into 2 groups, (Tanks & BMPs), and go to their own IPs. T/O at 0425hrs, and TOT's of 0445hrs are acceptable. I've calculated the positions of Tanks & BMPs at 0445hrs. I'll test them later. I've added waypoints for all the targets at 0445hrs, 0515hrs, 0545hrs, and 0615hrs.

If you agree with the plan, I'll start on the brief.
ImageImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Hi Geoff, looks good, plan your brief please.

Paul
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Copied.
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I hope to be there.

Geoff, If I may, I would make a few points about your plan.

First, it is simpler to put the Time for WP1 (the T/O point) as our planned T/O time, with the second Flight 1 min later. This helps ensure a good Take-off time and subsequent WP times reflecting what should happen.

Second, it would probably be better to route the second Flight directly to attack the BMPs, while leaving the first Flt to target the tanks. Thereafter the 2 Flts should act independently, possibly orbiting on opposite sides of the battle area to avoid any conflict. The use of separate VHF FM frequencies for detailed tactical control within each Flt might be helpful, while ensuring that everyone continue to listen out on the overall Sqn frequency (UHF or VHF)

If the cloud-base is around 9500 ft as forecast, over a ground height of around 1500 ft, it would be safer to target the Tunguskas first, using Mavericks. Given the large number of target groups, the Flt Cdrs may also want to consider allocating a target group to each ac in the Flt. With over 60 targets, once the ground threat is removed, we do not want to waste time having the No 2 tail-chasing his lead rather than killing something.

Finally, you might want to consider using cluster weapons and/or APKWs. One triple-pylon of GBU-12s will kill 3 AFVs, whereas a triple-pylon of 282s will kill 4-7 AFVS, even tanks, if fired in multiples of 2-4, depending on the target. I do think that the APKWs as modelled are currently a bit too powerful, but why not take advantage of that DCS fault while it lasts.

Just some thoughts to treat as you see fit.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
I have made numerous changes to our miz file. It will be forwarded to Andrew shortly. I'll repost the miz here, later.

1. I tried to change the take off WP's to 0445hrs, and 0446hrs, but received a warning about locked timings. We stay as earlier. I thought it had saved ok, but checking later, the times had changed back.

2. I was going to detach flight 2 direct to the BMP IP, from WP3 (Fence in - Split). However, I have changed flight 2's WP numbers. Now Flt1 and Flt 2 WP numbers are different. WP names remain the same. It's important that Flt 2 jump into Pontiac 5, & 6. ATC will know them as Pontiac 2 -1/2. If we have 4 pilots, they will be Pontiac 1-3/4. Hope this makes sense.

3. The tunguska should not be a problem so long as we don't drift south of flight plan. We will not be affected by the SA-6s, if we don't go west of the 0445hrs WPs. The EW radars may paint us. It is my intention to brief both flights to destroy all the Shilka's before concentrating on Tanks and BMPs.

4. Flt 1 and Flt2 loadouts have been changed. All carry clusters. Flt2 (BMPs primary) now have 42* Laser 282s, instead to 6*GBU12s. Everyone will be briefed to consider changing their loadouts.

Thanks for your input. I'll try to figure out how to include the correct T/O times. It makes TOT planning so much easier.
ImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Here's the revised miz. It's been forwarded to Andrew, after modifying with some of Alan's suggestions.
97 Sqn Faux Fulda Intel Map 04.miz
(92.84 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
We will have 2 flights. I'll lead, and attack Tanks first. Now starting work on the brief.
ImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Hi Geoff,

Will hopefully be good for this one but am out all day shovelling coal on the railway. Should be back home by 1830 if all goes to plan.

Please put me somewhere that it doesn't matter if I'm late or not on at all.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”