Op Gauntlet - 26 Oct

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
Flyco
Site Admin

Op Gauntlet - 26 Oct

Post by Flyco »

The above titled mission has been set up for Tue 26 Oct. I know that Geoff has been preparing a route etc, as have I.

I will publish my version on this Topic tomorrow all being well.

That should give Paul time to look at them and decide which he wants to fly, or whether he would prefer something in between.

I reckon it will need at least 4 ac, in 2 separate flights to come close to completing it. It is in a very compact area, and will require operating below the main cloud-base which is around 8,000 ft. There are a good number of SAMs, and although there is some initial SEAD activity, it is going to be a bit hot. The Blue and Red ground forces are also going to be fairly close to each other I think.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Re: Op Gauntlet - 26 Oct

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
I'm busy for most of tomorrow. I'll try and publish my flight plan Sunday, mid afternoon.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

I'm good for the 26th.

Only issue that I can see is that unless I am missing something, and that may well be that case, this mission was slated as being 9th Nov in FC's original post.

Anyway. Whichever it is, I'm good for it.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Yes Alan, 9th of November for the mission. :D

It is likely to be a little hot as you say as the blue forces are pushed back pretty deep and we are scrambling to keep hold of Senaki and Kutaisi.

There is a strong Russian GCI based out of the three coastal airbases but if the harriers can get in with runway denial early that should open up some breathing room. The SEAD and CAP presence is essential very early in order to allow 11f through the ingress corridor and you guys in to take down the main bridge and convoy targets.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Paul,
Didn't want to be accused of plagiarism, so decided to publish my initial ideas, ahead of schedule. Here's my opening gambit:-
Op Gauntlet Initial ideas.pdf
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
ImageImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Hi Geoff, for your unknowns I think the TOT co-ordinates and times on the FRAG for the convoys are based on their start position on the map. The composition of the convoys I can add to the FRAG if necessary. The SA10 variety do magically change into a fully kitted out SA10 site when they arrive at Senaki though even though each convoy is only 4 or 5 vehicles. I will check details for you later when I get back home, currently wrestling with train travel in London, chaos, but I digress.

If you have any changes that you would like making to the FRAG let me know. The preliminary issue was a finger in the air for commander discussion really. I don't want to tell the squadrons how to plan their mission outside of what the main objectives are.

Once the bridges, SAMs and EWR are taken out its about getting the long range strike package in and out without incident! All other red assets are to be engaged at the squadrons descretion.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Father Cool,
97Sqn are still debating our plan of action. Watch this space.
Personally, I would like to know the makeup of each of the convoys. That way we can plan which weapons to use. No AAA may mean low level with guns. If they can defend themselves, we have to be more circumspect in our approach. Usually convoy makeup is shown on the mission planners' miz, that's circulated for planning. If you want to keep it "secret", an idea of the dangers in the FRAG would be ok.

I know you will be using a programable train in this mission. There will be other trains on the line which you have no control over. I was concerned that the trains would still transit a bridge, even after it had been destroyed. Good news, they don't.

Have a look at this 100sec, 1080p unlisted youtube, showing the Chihu bridge being destroyed, and an AI train coming to a stop. I added a HUMVEE close to the bridge, so I could record the clip. It has now been removed.

https://youtu.be/FeYGTRCoNQU
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have come up with a plan for this mission, requiring at least 4, and preferably 6, A-10s, flying as two independent Flights.

I apologise for getting the planned date wrong - it is of course set for 9 Nov. However, this does give me a little extra time to refine the details, and I will publish these later this week.

Like Geoff, a little more detail would be helpful re SEAD, CAP, and who is dealing with the armoured force en-route to Kutaisi. This latter force will require some positive separation from the A-10s, and I have planned to route the A-10s to stay clear of this area in so far as that is possible. Elbow-room is going to be tight on this mission!
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Outline Plan attached, for comment.
Attachments
OP GAUNTLET.pdf
(755.68 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Image Image Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Flyco wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 10:25 I have come up with a plan for this mission, requiring at least 4, and preferably 6, A-10s, flying as two independent Flights.

I apologise for getting the planned date wrong - it is of course set for 9 Nov. However, this does give me a little extra time to refine the details, and I will publish these later this week.

Like Geoff, a little more detail would be helpful re SEAD, CAP, and who is dealing with the armoured force en-route to Kutaisi. This latter force will require some positive separation from the A-10s, and I have planned to route the A-10s to stay clear of this area in so far as that is possible. Elbow-room is going to be tight on this mission!
Hi Alan/Geoff,

The convoys are made up of - SA10 road and rail convoys are ZU-23-2 AAA x2 (Road) ZSU-57 (Rail) & ZIL-135 Trucks x2 (SA10's cannot be made to drive so these are proxy's) the road convoy will spawn at 08:35 local, the rail version will spawn on train arrival at Senaki (TOT in FRAG). The Abasha convoy is SPH-251x3 & BM-21x2 en route to Kutaisi, destroying the Abasha bridge should halt these units. 97 is tasked with removing this threat so if bridges are not taken down then the convoy is 97's jurisdiction, convoy will spawn at 08:25 local.

As for SEAD and CAP, 892NAS (41F?) will be providing SEAD and 3F will be mopping up CAP duties supported by 892NAS once the SEAD packages are delivered.
Last edited by Father Cool on 25 Oct 2021, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”