Op Gauntlet - 26 Oct

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
309 Geoff

Re: Op Gauntlet - 26 Oct

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
Just downloaded. Will fly and report back before midnight.
I'm happy to fly deputy lead, climbing into HAWG.
I assume you will be attending the multi-squadron planning brief, that has been talked about.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I am happy to attend the meeting if required.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
Just flown just latest miz, as HAWG. Only a few minor comments.

1. BOAR WP2 has no name.
2. BOAR WP8, beware the Shilka close to the road. Should be easy to locate.
3. I may switch the Litening Pod over to the right, giving me more time to locate the bridge.
4. All aircraft have 251 set on the radio. Kutaisi is 263.0
5. So, no changes needed to your miz.

It's going to be congested. Keeping both flights to the NE, and SW of Senaki R/W will help.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Hi Geoff,

If you make sure that your aircraft are set up as you want them before sending me the final miz I will add them to the active mission file just as you have sent them across.

Cheers
FC
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

That's really well worth doing, after the last update the callsigns were randomly reset.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Tonight's chat elicited a request that, once our bridges are down, we split our forces and go radar/SAM hunting to the East.

This will require a total of at least 4 A-10s to be effective. I will do some planning and find out what the best routes, weapons and tactics are.

If we can take out both bridges on time, we will just have a couple of fixed targets on Senaki and less than a dozen vehicles to knock out. I suspect the best plan would be for a pair to remain on the original task, and for any remaining A-10s (once the bridges are down) to do a quick, engines running, refuel and rearm, and then head for the radar-infested hills. Our weapon range is going to be a problem but if we use Mavericks, we might have a reasonable chance.

The priority targets are an EWR unit (which has no missiles on site), and a SAM-10 which is not expected to be activated until after about 0520(Z). These should be feasible, in that we should be able to get to the EWR and SAM-10 if we are careful. The SAM-6s in the same general are a different matter - we used to take these out in the early days by running in and evading when they fired early, until they were out of missiles - but they may be more wise by now.

I will get more info out over the weekend.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

The additional SEAD task to the East looks do-able - provided we have at least 4 (preferably 5-6) pilots.

I will plan for a flight to do the original task: that is taking out the two bridges, mopping up the single inbound convoy, and knocking out the 2-3 targets on Senaki airfield. Obviously if the bridges are not hit, there will be quite a few additional ground targets to finish off. Thus any aircraft above the minimum 2 will be allocated to this task.

The second flight, is not time constrained, and has only 3 essential and 2 optional targets, all discrete units. There are SAM-6 in the area (the 2 optional targets), but they should be avoidable. What I am not sure of is whether we can expect any red air to appear to spoil our fun.

It would be helpful if those who do plan to fly on this mission let me know asap, and also give a preference between ground attack and attacking radar sites.

I will prepare the mission for Father Cool, and then produce briefs for the 2 elements.
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

I'll be flying it.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

I am certainly in for this one
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Alan there may be some red air over the Russian border but will be likely intercepting us coming in from the north west.

I would keep an eye out though and maybe ask 892 or 3F to provide top cover for you?
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”