Alan,
Fit to fly.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Op Gauntlet - 26 Oct

Post by Flyco »

Our input has gone to Father Cool. Planned for up to 4 ac for the ground attack and 2 for the SEAD. Can make do with 2-3 x G/A and 1-2 x SEAD at a pinch.

Full briefs will be available by tomorrow.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Please see the attached Warning Order. Volunteers are sought.

Full briefs to follow
Attachments
OP GAUNTLET pre-brief.pdf
(761.34 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
I would like to fly Boar Flt 2, attacking the Road Bridge, command bunker, shilka, and temp HQ. Happy to lead Boar Flt 2.
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Initial Briefs for tomorrow's sortie are attached. Use them in co-ordination with .miz that I sent to Father Cool on Sunday (Squadron Flights)

Please let me know of any obvious errors or omissions asap.
Attachments
OP GAUNTLET BRIEF - Hawg.pdf
(581.3 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
OP GAUNTLET BRIEF - Boar.pdf
(783.31 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
I have the following comments on the Boar brief. I’ll look at the Hawg brief later, if time allows.

I was initially confused, but think I understand your plan.

Flt1 (Boar1-1, 1-2) and Flt2 (Boar2-1, 2-2) are now Section 1 & 2 respectively.

If Section 1 do not destroy Chihu Bridge, it appears that Section2 will be the fallback plan by going to WP10, the Station, and wait for the convoy to spawn. Section 2 will leave the targets at Senaki Airfield in preference to the convoy that will spawn at the Rail Station WP10.

There is no mention of the consequences for not destroying Abasha Bridge.

Senaki Airfield shows 3 targets for Section1, and 4 targets for Section 2.

Minor textual error with the laser code for Boar2-2. It says Boar 2-24.

On a separate note, I flew your latest miz, as Boar 2-1. I scored 3 direct hits on the Red CMD Post WP8. One GBU10, and 2*GBU12. Lots of smoke and fire, but it was not destroyed. I’m thinking it’s indestructible.
ImageImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Geoff if Abashi bridge is not taken down then the red convoy will arrive at Kutaisi and attack the RAF HQ there. There are some ground trooos stationed at Kutaisi who may fight them off but there is no guarantee of victory if they do engage them. It would be better to prevent them gettimg there in the first place.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Geoff, I am afraid I found the original plan, difficult to follow, with no hard information about the convoys, despite several enquiries.

I presumed that there was a Red convoy already at the station and heading south to cross the Abasha bridge. There is a Blue tank group heading in the opposite direction and I assume these will deal with this convoy (on the version of the INTEL I got these were Sherman’s, but Father Cool denied it). I found him a bit evasive about the overall plan, which seems to be common with mission planners.

Without any firm info about how many A-10 drivers we would get, I have had to be a bit creative with the target allocation and weapon load out. We may have to play it by ear. If you are leading No 2 Section, and I lead No 1 Section it should not be a problem. You will see that there are spare weapons on our aircraft. I am also unconvinced of the need to bomb empty planned sittings for SAMs that we are hoping to knock out in transit.

Surprisingly the SEAD element seems fairly straightforward and could probably be achieved by a singleton, provided the SAM-6s are left till last, as briefed. You will also see that I have dropped a big hint, to miss out the SAM-6s if they prove troublesome.
Image Image Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Lol Alan, I literally said those tanks were not Shermans but did not deny they existed (they were in fact Challengers), however their remit was not to intercept the convoy heading to Kutaisi which has been on the frag from day one as a 97 task. The whole purpose of taking that bridge out at Abashi was to stop the red convoy attacking Kutaisi.

The Blue tanks heading west are tasked with helping to take back Senaki base.

It's not about being evasive its more about giving intel. I could just send the miz file straight over with everything on it if you like but wheres the fun in that? :lol:
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Father Cool wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 12:35 :lol:

97 is tasked with taking out the convoy to Kutaisi, This should only be necessary if the Abasha bridge is not taken out in time. However the convoy will then be free to be engaged provided the main objectives are complete.

As for the Shermans, no they are Challenger II's en route to Senaki, the INTEL miz has the wrong units on.

Regarding the convoy's I have gone easy on the AAA defence with 2x AAA mounted URALs and ZSU-57's however if you guys want a bigger challenge I can add an SA-13 into the mix? Opinions?
That was the post on page 2 of this thread!
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”