Op Gauntlet - Tweaked - 16 Nov 21.

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
309 Geoff

Op Gauntlet - Tweaked - 16 Nov 21.

Post by 309 Geoff »

Pilots required. Any volunteers?
There are 3 flights of 2. Boar Flt 1, Boar Flt 2, and Hawg Flt 1. Same as last week.

Paul, Alan,
If you agree, I'm happy to lead this re-run of last week. Here is my latest miz, that adopts the revised TOTs shown in the updated FRAG. Can I make the miz available for Father Cool?
OP Gauntlet Re-Run A-10s rev01.miz
(85.02 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
If we have the same pilots, flight line will be as last week, namely:-

Boar Flt 1: Paul, & Alan. T/O 0430hrs, with a TOT Chihu Bridge of 044120hrs. FRAG TOT is 0849hrs.
Boar Flt 2: Geoff. T/O 0431hrs, with a TOT Abasha Bridge of 044237hrs. FRAG TOT is 0849hrs.
Hawg Flt 1: Richard. T/O 0432hrs. Primary objective is destroy SEAD SA-10 before activation, & UZI return. Flight plan gives TOT for this target, WP5 tgt SAM-10, as 050124hrs. UZI will be well North, with TOTs of 0920hrs.

I've kept most of Alan's WPs. I've added 2 new IPs. IP NE for Boar Flt 1, and IP SOUTH for Boar Flt 2. These will be used to give us separation for attacks around Senaki airfield.

T/O will be from Kobuleti. For start-up, we are parked up, south of the runway, slots 01 to 06.

Hope this makes sense. If you agree with me taking lead, I'll try to publish a brief before 2300hrs Monday.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Re: Op Gauntlet - Tweaked - 16 Nov 21.

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Yep go for it Geoff. Got to do a better job of it, than I did last week(my head was not on the game at all).

Paul
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Hi Geoff, I've added your miz to the active mission file. If you need any further tweaks let me know.

Regards
FC
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Father Cool,
Apologies, but I may have confused you slightly. I was in the process of changing that miz.
Here is my updated miz, that I would like added to your master.
OP Gauntlet Re-Run A-10s rev02.miz
(85.01 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
This miz has been updated to be in-line with your latest FRAG changes to TOTs. I trust you have changed all our trigger start times to match the new TOTs, namely the train start, convoys start, and SAM activations.

Hawg has a long flight because T/O is now further West. I did consider moving Hawg to Vaziani.

97Sqn,
I'm now starting work on the brief. Hope to finish it late tonight. Please download the above miz, and test it out. Feel free to change your loadouts.
ImageImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

I will take a look, yes I did set the triggers to suit the new TOT's. If only we could control the enemy like this in real life eh. ;)
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Ok new miz added.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Geoff, I have had a quick look at your input. No major points.

A few minor observations-

1. You have put us at 11,000m ft - that is only 300 ft above the max published reach of the SA-13, SA-19, and some published hts of the Shilka. I would have gone for 13,000 ft.

2. Boar's turns on at the IPs are between 100 and 130 degrees. That is quite difficult to judge, particularly with a strong wind and a heavy aircraft, and it makes a TGP lock on difficult. I prefer to keep the final turn on below 45 degrees 20-30 0f possible - if necessary by putting a WP 3-4 nm before the IP to give better guidance.

3. Looking at the NW-SE road along which the convoy to be attacked is running, it is well bordered by trees etc, which hinders both initial pick-up and maintenance of a TGP lock. A run-in along the road would have been easier, as we found out last time.

That said it looks do-able.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

If you want me to add or move any point let me know. It's easer to do that than keep adding in full flights and retyping all of the heights!

Regards
FC
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

FC,
Please see below. I have changes to make. As requested, instead of sending a new miz, I'll send a lsit of what needs to be changed.

Alan,
I agree with changing heights to 13,000ft. I'll check the miz, and let Father Cool know which Flts/WPs need to be changed. Lots need to be remain as ground level.

IP to TGT turns are over 90deg. Lets keep the WPs as they are. Just use an imaginary offset on the TAD to aid your turn on, and TGT lock. I was hoping that having the pod on our left wing would help ID the bridge and turn on.

I take your point about finding the convoy. Again, lets keep the WPs as they are. Instead of going to WP6(OFF) after the bridge attack, go to WP8(Cv Psn 0505) and back track along the road to WP7(Cvy St 0445). Be aware of the convoy start time, and your actual time. You may have to throw an orbit for the convoy to appear.

Hope this makes sense, and is acceptable.
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Fine, flexibility is my middle name (very strange, my parents!)
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”