24 January - Troops in contact - QRF training

Wee Neal 0414

24 January - Troops in contact - QRF training

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi to 97Sqn chaps

I am looking at developing how 60 Sqn operate, especially in conjunction with CAS. I have posted the following on 60 Sqn:

I would like to try something new on Monday! I will also ask 97Sqn if they can offer up a pilot to trial.

The scenario. 60 Sqn will be sat at a base, troops loaded, weapons hot and acting as a Quick Reaction Force (QRF). We have reports that enemy SF light troops will be attempting to interdict our supply lines. We will respond to any calls for help.

In an ideal world we will have the following organisation:

a. Gunship - Roll to move as Vanguard to the skirmish area and observe from safe position. If we can get a Huey Gun and Hind (Shaggy?) that would be great?
- Looking for approach route routes/vectors for the slicks.
- Informing the FL of en composition and numbers.
- Acting as direct fire support as slicks insert troops.
b. A10c - Very similar roll to Gunships, with the added roll of keeping an eye out for reinforcements and taking out any troublesome enemy.
c. Slicks. The crucial roll of getting boots on the ground in the right place to support the beleaguered troops. This will requires good navigation, flying time appreciation, map appreciation to understand the terrain and how to approach with cover from fire - This is not an exercise in "fly in fast, drop troops on the en and go home for a brew". I would like to explore our techniques for a covered approach and tactical troop insertion. This may require a multi drop i.e. Drop a base of fire to suppress the enemy and win the fire fight. As this is happening the main slicks will be dropping in the assault troops (should be min 90Degrees to fire base). The FL will need to notify all fire support elements on which direct we are inserting and to where, this will then enable the Gunship(s) and CAS (?) to establish their attack runs. All to avoid a Blue on Blue situation.

So the principle stages:
Stage One - Initial call from BLUEFOR of in contact.
Stage Two - Gunships and CAS make their way to troops in contact and provide initial contact details to FL. Slicks will move to a suitable staging area closer to the contact (designated by FL).
Stage Three - Gunships and CAS finalise their observations to FL. FL plans the insertion of the troops, indicating route and time to insertion for each element.
Stage Four - Assault and Tea and Toast in the bar.

Would anyone be free to work with us in developing a joint operational roll? I am hoping Paul will fly Huey rather than A10c, so he will have a hat in both rings as it were!

Cheers

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: 24 January - Troops in contact - QRF training

Post by Flyco »

I have a mission in development, with the Huey and the A-10 elements complete - I have just had no takers from fast-jets for providing support, in knocking out SAMs and Red Fighters (on the ground and in the air).

At present, there are 2 Huey Gunships and 2 Transport. They fly from their base to a pick-up point, where the transport land to pick up NBC Techs.

The gunships fly to a hold point, where the A-10s take out a Bunker and a Shilka to allow the Hueys to enter a small valley. In addition to the Bunker and the Shilka, there are 3-4 troops, a couple of unarmed vehicles and man-pad (the latter should get hit with the Bunker - usually!). The RW are then cleared into the valley where they knock out any remaining red troops and await the RW transport.

The Transports route into the valley where they pick up a couple of suspected NBC crates - underslung (with a long cable!!). They take these back to the NBC unit and land them.

Oh yes there are up to four red choppers transiting the valley at intervals - 2 hips and 2 gunships.

I can let you have what I've got to date if you wish, and you can take a look - Any suggestions to improve the R/W action would be welcome. I have flown all elements a few times in development - if I can do I am sure you will want to make it a bit tougher!
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi

that would be great. I am off with Covid at the moment so developing my Mission writing, to keep me sane!

Thanks

Neal
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I will tidy it up, and let you have a copy. I will ’switch off’ the red fighters, but leave the RW in, for the initial stages.
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Hi Neal, you would be correct, I would like to fly a Huey slick for this mission.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Neal, attached is the current iteration of Deep Valley. The aim is for the A-10s to knock out as much of the defences to the Smaller (Eastern), valley and then keep the Red forces in the main valley to the West tied down, while they call in the R/W.

The R/W get airborne and transit at LL to the NBC Unit, where the transports land to collect the boffins. The gun-ships continue on, to arrive and hold just S of the small valley, until the A-10s have knocked out the Bunker and the Shilka. There may be 3-4 troops and a man-pad left alive, depending on whether the A-10s can locate them. Then the 2 gunships go in and knock out any remaining forces (as I say this should be 3-4 men and a man-pad at most). They then call in the Transports that pick up a crate each from the top of the Valley, and transport it back to Boffin HQ.

It is part of a larger scenario, in which the A-10s plaster the whole of the main valley, while fast jets knock out the nearby SAMs, and the Mig 21 CAP and its base(s). This prompts the Mig-29s from the north to get involved, and a flight of Red ground attack ac to hit Boffin Centre and anything else they fancy. The SAMs and the red aircraft are included in this interim version, but they are 'guns safe' at present and merely fly around aimlessly for a few minutes before returning to their bases. (Just to test triggers etc)

Paul will remember Ver 1 of this mission, without the NBC/Huey/Red Grd Attack, etc elements. Those were the days when we put up 8 A-10s (Ah! Happy Days), and had to take out our own SAMs.

Come back to me if you need any more info. Or if you can find room for me to fly with you on it.
Attachments
Op Deep Valley 2 Dev 4.miz
(5.16 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Ahh yes, the good old days. But the new days are good as well, thankfully.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul as a confirmed “Bah! Humbuger”, I must insist, as I approach my 80th year, that NOTHING is as good as the old days!!! (
Image Image Image Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

in, huey gunship
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi Alan

Your pilotage and sniper like skills would be gratefully appreciated for Monday night and indeed any other 97 Sqn members if free.

We will be doing a deliberate assault on a forward operating base. We know that there are Hinds, BTR 60’s and BMP’s in the AO.

The infantry attack will need CAS from the A10’s to take out the heavy equipment and to clear the way for our Gunship support and slicks. This will need some careful coord between the 3 elements and I am hopeful this will help develop our joint ops SOP’s.

Look forward to a splendid evening!

Neal
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Return to “Training Mission Briefings”