Op Shield

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
309 Geoff

Re: Op Shield

Post by 309 Geoff »

Richard,
Some relatively good news.
I have no control on where the convoys are at the TOT of 2046hrs. So long as one of us manages the TOT, then we can class that as a success.
I am 80/20 confident that I can hit my TOT +/-10secs.
You ZSU, at the rear of convoy "C", reaches WP8 at approx 2042Z by my calculation.. That's 4 min ahead of TOT. I have no idea what triggers 97Sqn are going to set off.
If you drop your first bomb/mav 30secs early, I could live with that.

You could forget your TOT of 2046Z, and set it at WP10(CROSS Rd) for a TOT off 205400Z. There's a clearing to the East of the targets at this time. Your convoy will be in this clearing at 2054Z. Your decision. See image below.
These trees are a nightmare.
WP10Diagram.JPG
WP10Diagram.JPG (145.83 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Geoff, sorry, I may have been a little obtuse. As I understand it we are flying as follows:

You are flying Lead and will plan to fly along the West road to hit WP7 at TOT
Richard is flying along the East road to hit WP9 at TOT
Paul is flying along the West road to hit WP6 at TOT (possibly plus a minute or so)
I am also flying along the West road, currently to hit WP6

That works for me.

However, can I suggest that, if we have all 4 ac, I drop back by two minutes (I will do a 360 turn at the IP) This will enable me to slot-in should any of the first 3 be unable to drop their weapons, and/or allow smoke and debris to clear slightly. This separation should enable me to switch to any un-hit target.

I plan to use 282 APKWs as opposed to 151's. The 282s have a better penetration against tanks.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

[quote=Flyco post_id=39406 time=1643712506 user_id=1064

You are flying Lead and will plan to fly along the West road to hit WP7 at TOT
Richard is flying along the East road to hit WP9 at TOT
Paul is flying along the West road to hit WP6 at TOT (possibly plus a minute or so)
I am also flying along the West road, currently to hit WP6

[/quote]

Alan,
Above is correct.
OK with you swapping the type of laser rockets.
Good idea for you to orbit. It will be a challenge to try and find mine, and Richard targets. I think you would be better employed by concentrating just on convoy A, your convoy. If you and Paul find the convoy, and Paul is successful with his TOT, you may be able to see the convoy turn into the trees on your TGP. It might be more efficient to then use a cluster.
ImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Paul, Alan,
Have a look at this 7.5min 1080p youtube. It shows my technique for finding ZSU "A".
Once I had WP6 in my TGP, I moved it North to find the convoy. You should see the hill, and the flat ground to the North, where you will find the convoy. They then disappear as they climb the hill.
Hoppe it helps with your identification of your TOT ZSU.

https://youtu.be/Fd7G1Is1Bek
ImageImageImage

Danny
Site Admin

Post by Danny »

Good afternoon 97

As our SEAD should be pretty quick and the distances are short, we are looking at secondary tgts.

We have already picked up 41's tgts as secondaries but I was wondering if you plan to hit the command centre on your primary 55P CS 53062 68344 or any of the ships on your secondary NW ( if you plan on a secondary)?

Cheers
Wing Commander Andrew 'Danny' Daniel - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Danny,
We have them in our FP. However, we could be low on weapons. Give us a shout on 251 after 41Sqn targets. Be prepared for us to say "yes".
I look forward to your "casenove" call re SA11.
ImageImageImage

Danny
Site Admin

Post by Danny »

Roger, will do. Thanks
Wing Commander Andrew 'Danny' Daniel - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Not my best effort last night I am afraid. I would like to blame my hardware, but in reality most of it was faulty 'software' (and it is becoming softer the older I get).

I certainly carried out at least one APKW attack with P rather than L flashing. However, I have run through the Tacview, and am at a loss to explain some of my misses. Tacview shows me hitting and killing 1 BMP, but then hitting without any reported results at least 3 or 4 other vehicles. This ties in with my recollection, but I do recall at least some of them burning after my attacks. My final run was against a T-55, from the rear, with 3 APKW; Tacview shows all as hitting but without damaging the T-55. Oh yes, I got one more kill - Tacview credits one of my rocket salvos with killing one of Richards rockets! - not too bad since it was a ninety degree intercept.

At this stage I pulled off to the south, to run through my settings again and set up for a Maverick attack. This was when I forget rule 1 - FTFA! (Fly the F.... Aeroplane). How many time have I shouted that at some poor benighted student? Even in the tropics the sea is hard and cold!!! Still it was quick and I didn't have to walk home.

Sorry chaps.
Image Image Image Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

could fusing have been the issue alan?
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

There is no fuse setting. They all ex-loaded on impact, as normal. Some may have been near misses but not that many.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”