OP Badgers Strike

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: OP Badgers Strike

Post by Flyco »

Paul & Geoff, I have run up a routing for this mission, which seems to work at least up to the Artillery elimination.

Given the proximity of the Tunguskas to the Arty Sites, I have gone for mavericks for the initial strike. It can be done by just 2 A-10s, but 4 would be best, although it could accommodate up to 8, depending on what additional targets we are given.

I will tidy it up, produce an outline brie, and then publish it on this thread (probably by mid-day tomorrow), for members to take a look.

In summary, we take of as 2 pairs, with a roll time of 04:30. One flight to each of the batteries, although following a near identical route with a separation of 3 nm, to get simultaneous TOTs. It is flown at a nominal 15,000 ft, although depending on cloud, it may be necessary to drop down to around 7,000 - 8,000 ft.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Nice one, Alan, look forward to seeing the brief.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Just run the mission. Curses, only got 3 Arty pieces on my first pass - cloud got in way.

The cloud in this one is interesting - keeps drifting across the targets, and you have to decide whether to move sideways or descend. Always achievable though.

It runs OK, I will now produce a detailed brief. Would welcome any comments asap.
Attachments
Objective Badgers Strike V01.miz
(535.13 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Image Image Image Image

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

20220210_191224.jpg
20220210_191224.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 2236 times
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Initial outline brief.

Comment welcomed, but I am tied up all weekend until Tuesday morning, so please let me have them before Friday lunch-time if possible.
Attachments
OUTLINE BRIEF FOR OP BADGERS STRIKE.pdf
(757.2 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
Just looked at your miz. Sorry for the late response. All seems fine. My comment are:-
1. Artillery units are moving at 11kts, and will be 5nm East of their start position, ie your WPs. They could also be firing, so we should find them
2. Have you considered the possible SA19. There is no WP for it's location. Maybe Matt will give us location whilst we are airborne.

I feel a little awkward. Paul has asked me to lead the flight, and I said ok. However, you seem to be doing the miz and brief. I don't want to steal your thunder, or go against my Squadron Boss.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Thanks for your response Geoff. When I test flew it yesterday, the artillery was at the marked spots and firing. The SA19 is marked as being in an area about 2-3 nm west of the artillery; hence the choice of Mavericks - we should never come in range of the SA19s. We will have try it on the day.

As for leading - I have no problems. Paul probably saw that I was tied up until Tuesday lunchtime-ish, and asked you to do it so there would be a point of contact, if anything questions came up. There will in any case be 2 separate 2-ship elements. Any extra above the 4 can tag onto one of the 2-ships, but in that event we will need to add an extra A-10 or so.

I will prepare a proper brief this afternoon, and publish it before Saturday.

I would ask you or Paul to forward the mission to Matt before the deadline.
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
Noted. I'll liaise with Matt, to keep him updated, and send the miz to him, once it's finalised my yourself.

If I'm lead, I will put you as No3, deputy flight lead, in charge of the second flight element.

I feel a little more relaxed now. I didn't want to cause any fraction between the two of us. I fully understand why Paul wanted myself me to lead. Makes sense now that you will be AOL till Tuesday mid day.
ImageImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Hi guy's, myself and my partner have made a snap decision and decided to go to Cornwall tomorrow for a week. This means I won't be able to fly on Tuesday 15th. Sorry.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Paul,
Enjoy. It will reduce your time without high speed internet at home, by 7 days.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”