Post by Flyco »

Excellent - A full flight!
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: OP Badgers Strike

Post by Flyco »

Geoff, I presume you have seen Matt's latest post, confirming our TOT of 04:45 Z. This should be achieved with a roll time of 0430. I note you have reduced power for the climb to height from 92% to 90%. I know that it is only 2%, but at higher power settings 2% is significant. Have you confirmed that the extra time to get to 15,000 ft will not make us late on planned TOT?
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,

I've seen Matt's latest post.

I was concerned with the 90%/92%. Initially I thought 92% was your typo, but reading your brief properly, made me rethink my conclusion.
I've tested it at 92% and 90%. Your 92% means you can have a higher rate of climb, reaching TOC earlier. Both are fine for the TOT, but 92% means you can do the attack run at a slightly lower speed, giving more time for multiple target aquisitions.

In conclusion, we all climb at 92%, 200kts, adjusting the ROC to suit.

I will not circulate another brief for the 92%.

Every time I've flown this miz, Artillery South appears covered by cloud, when at 15000ft.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Not my greatest mission, I am afraid. Departure was OK, but a bit messy (sorry Richard). Cloud was, as expected a bit unhelpful, but no excuse for my early incompetence.

In in trying to manoeuvre to keep the target in view through the cloud, I went lower than I needed and was late selecting my Mav. Thus I turned out for a second run and turned back in too early. Was again slow setting up my second target and 'pressed on' too far before aborting. Even so I came within about 3 nm of an unmarked Strela-10 and paid the price (Although I will register a protest - the published range is 2.3 nm!!). It took out both engines and for some reason I elected to force land on that lovely soft snow. Walked away but it was stupid!!

I re-joined, but by then Richard had already knocked out my second Mav. I stuck around taking what I could find or was offered by Matt (who was working his socks off!). Managed to get 5 more targets before the bad guys surrendered - 4 with a Mav and 1 with a GBU - also missed with a GBU and a APKW, due to cloud. Under those circumstances the Mavs were excellent. Eventually I was hit by a ZSU-23-4 and lost my third engine of the night. The fire went out so a went home on one. Unfortunately, as a final embarrassment, I found my nosewheel steering was unserviceable. With other aircraft landing behind me I steered it off onto the grass on the RHS of the runway - and walked home!

An enjoyable mission, but spoiled by my initial stupidity.
Image Image Image Image

0415 Falcon

Post by 0415 Falcon »

Dear all,
it was really a nice mission and a big thanks to Matt for excellent performance giving targets and coordinating strikes.
I flew with you my first mission after 2 years being away of virtual flying.
I have been flying in real life of course (being a real life pilot) but i realized how much i missed flying with you guys and having so much fun.
Thank you all for that. And bottom line it's all about having fun doing something we love, with people that we like to spend time with.
As a self evaluation since i see we are going this path, i am quite happy, took out my main targets and a couple more from Matt, managed to stay airborne till the end but a stupid mistake forced me in an successful emergency landing but walked away alive. Lost my comms though so no possibility for calling evac, Lucky Andrew and Neal :) .
My mistake was going heads on with guns on a convoy of fully gunned tanks... I know how it sounds, but after all those take downs of my fellow A10s, i was pissed off so at that time seemed like a good idea for payback. DON'T DO IT, doesn't work...
Thanks again all!

Falcon
Flying Officer Filip " Falcon " - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”