OK. Can I be No2 and take small hanger.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: OP Abii

Post by Flyco »

By all means Geoff - consider it yours.

As for working out a min ht, the standard is to use the highest ground within a set distance of track (e.g. 5 nm). Unfortunately the DCS maps give such a poor representation of contour that to do that would take hours. I did go through the route and am (fairly) sure that there is nothing within 200-300 ft of ht. within about 1 nm either side of track.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

So much easier on an OS map. When I plan a DCS night mission,I just quickly move my cursor along the route and +/- 5nm either side and watch the altitude change.
Your route is fine, if flown accurately.
ImageImageImage

0415 Falcon

Post by 0415 Falcon »

Dear Alan,
unfortunately I won't be home next week(business trip), so will not be able to fly the mission.
Best luck, but with all the planning you and Geoff are putting into it, i am sure will not be needed!

Br,
Filip
Flying Officer Filip " Falcon " - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

I had a short dabble with this last night Alan. I think that to say it is rather an interesting sortie doesn't do it justice. Sticking to the FP seems a must, otherwise there are too many poss obstacles that are not seen until last minute.

CCIP was the only way I could get a consistent release. I will have another bash over nxt few days, but essentially I think it is certainly workable as is.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
Sorry, change of plan. Can I go No 3, and attack the fuel installation?
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Richard, I too have had no success with CCRP. CCIP seems to be the way to go.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have flown several runs now, using CCIP. I have come down to 250 ft agl, without suffering any self damage, and I suggest we aim for 250-500 ft agl - that is around 2600-2700 ft on QNH, with the rad-alt as back up (250). I have killed, or damaged all of the RW every pass.

I am also inclined to load up 12 retarded 500 lb GP bombs. I will drop early on our current Tgt Pt to take out the towers before RW array as well as the RW. If No 2 aims a couple of hundred yards beyond the small hanger, he should take out most of the buildings beyond. Similarly No 3 will also take out sundry additional miscellaneous targets. If we do have a No4, he can take the vehicles on the pan.

If everyone is happy with this I will tweak the aim points by a couple of hundred yards, and amend the load-out. I have found that using dumb rockets from very low level is pretty pointless - they all drop low.

I need to get the mission back by around 1700 tomorrow, so I would welcome a early response. At a pinch these changes could be carried out ad hoc, by changing the load before start-up and bringing our aim pts 200 yds earlier.
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

I'm good with that Alan, if not able to fine tune the tgt points wd can always just eyeball it.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Ala,
Sounds like a plan. If you circulate a revised miz, I can work out the spacing for 12, from the revised WP. To get a decent image of the fuel tanks on the TGP, I've had to climb to 4200ft on the attack run.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”