OP Abii

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
309 Geoff

Re: OP Abii

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
Just had a look at the BMP North, additional targets. They are all hiding in the trees. I just managed to pick one BMP up on the TGP. My Mk282 laser rockets were unsuccessful.

Running in from the west to BMP North, I'll recover to the left, 60deg banked turn.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

A good night gents. A bit untidy in places, particularly during the break and landing - not helped by my poor line up and extended circuit. The route went better than I had anticipated - well done very-one. Shame about the targets - there were only 2 RW on the pan the other 3 were airborne, but got their cumuppance in the end. Strange about the 2 Migs that landed while we were in the area - never mind - they paid for ignoring us. The AFV vehicles were there but difficult to get a shot at with the foliage obstructing the laser. A more detailed breakdown will be available in due course.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Have now had a chance to go through the TacView. I was a bit harsh earlier - we did better than I had anticipated. It was not possible to count all the kills but I made it at least 15-20 between us, in addition to our primary task, and some red kills.

The departure was a bit hurried due to all the other ac racing to take-off. Formation was pretty sound, and the scheme to use a combination of min hts, TGP, and a tight route appeared to work quite well. The planned attack was a fiasco, but due to the planners rather than us. I dropped 10 secs late and everyone else followed on - some a bit early, some a bit late, but no major hassles. It was a shame there wasn't a viable target, even the promised 5 RW were down to 2 when I pickled. What I didn't notice was that at about 30 secs to run I was overtaking a Mig-29 at about the same ht. This was one of two that landed and Paul and Richard knocked out on the ground.

From this point things were busy - I found it impossible to count who killed what, but we certainly got at least 15 and probably more, of our secondary targets. The foliage was a problem, but the TacView showed that some of those that I thought I had missed were destroyed, and I suspect the same is true for everyone. It was bit busy in the overhead with several other blue ac poking their noses in.

The departure went quite well I thought, again a bit of too-ing and fro-ing within the stream but nothing that seemed too bad. I could have been a bit sharper with the break and approach, but everyone seemed to cope quite well. Paul got a bit close to Richard on late finals but I don't think Richard noticed! Sorry about the long taxi, I found the airfield map very difficult to follow.

All in all a plus for 97, despite some significant problems with the mission - notably a lack of details about where everyone else was and what they were planned to do.
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Great report Alan. I think we can hold our heads high and claim the whole thing a success.

For future missions, if any targets are buildings etc, the planners are going to have to use those only found in the 476th tgt pack and place them on the airfield. At least that way we can blow the buggers up.

Don't be hard on yourself Alan as that mission in total darkness is something that may well not happen in RW with more than a couple of aircraft due to high risk of collision in the AO. I was following you around all night but was staying well clear due to the warping we were getting as well and I think Paul & Geoff were doing same.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Yes thanks for the great report Alan.

Two points to make. After Alan raised the fact that the buildings were impervious to your efforts in planning , I researched how to get round that.
I set each individual target building as a scenery destruction zone. This would be triggered when the building was dead, I also added an explosion which I hoped would give you a rewarding display. I watched your attack on the F2 and F10 map as I was unable to fly because of lag and there were certainly some structures destroyed. The only thing I can think of if the building was not destroyed was either an error with my mission editing or not enough munitions were used. And of course we don't know what's required to make a unit dead.

The other thing, the mission started exactly at 19:30 as shown in the frag, not before and not after.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

I've just got home to check the mission. :oops:
It turns out I hadn't set the triggers correctly, very sorry about that. I believe I should have added scenery destruction zone as well as the explosion, I thought I had, but maybe I was called away for my tea at the critical moment.

Would anyone have time to test a mission to see if this actually works correctly and how many hits are needed for different airfield structures, I can amend last nights mission or create a quick one. I think it would be good if we could destroy the actual airfield scenery rather than adding additional stuff that may look out of place.

I tried to make the mission a little more atmospheric by having ground troops shooting at each other when you crossed the front lines, I thought it would show up well in the dark conditions, did anyone see any ground troops engaging each other?
Scenery destruction trigger.png
Scenery destruction trigger.png (74.75 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Andrew, I can test a mission if it would help. I have my own server.
Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Thanks Alan, I'll put something together so we can test this trigger and action.
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”