Operation Persian Storm Sortie 2

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Operation Persian Storm Sortie 2

Post by Flyco »

Persian Gulf 2 – 97 Sqn Input

Ninety-seven are tasked with thinning-out two enemy armoured columns located around 125 nm north of our launching airfield, Dubai. I have prepared the mission for our part, which I will publish later today or tomorrow, for comments. It is due with the planners by Friday evening.

Targets.
The targets comprise 2 columns of mixed armour plus some AA and softskins. They are routing from the north-west to the south-easy, at a speed of 20-25 kts, and will reach their final deployment position around 1400. Each column comprises 30-40 AFVs, some softskins, and mobile air defence, and together they stretch over a distance of 5-10nm. The air-defence with each column comprises 3 SA-15s, and 2 Shilkas. The columns follow well defined roads and start to arrive and deploy around 1800 local – that is 1400 (Z).

Blue Plan
We will operate as 2 separate flights. The first flight (Pontiac 1 - nominally of 2 ac), will take off 5 mins ahead of the second flight (Pontiac 2 – of up to 4 ac). If we have more than 6 ac on the night, any extras will fly as Pontiac 1.

Pontiac-1 will climb en-route to FL 220, and will endeavour to engage the incoming armour at around 15 minutes from their final destination. Their primary task is to eliminate all the AD units, using GBU-12s. They will be above the reach of the accompanying AA units, and will ensure that all SA-15s are destroyed within the first column, before moving on to the second column, where they will again concentrate on the SA-15s. They will then concentrate on attacking the second column. We are unlikely to have enough ac and weapons to destroy all of the vehicles and so must concentrate on the critical ones – ie. AA, Tanks, AFVs, SP Artillery.

Pontiac-2 will follow the same route but at FL 140. They should not engage the first column until Pontiac-1 advise the destruction of the three SA-15s within that column. They should then maintain FL 140, until the Shilka are also eliminated.

Weapons
Pontiac 1 are armed with 2 x CBU-105s, and 10 x GBU-12s, and will use the GBUs from FL 220, until all AD units are destroyed. The continuing presence of SA-15s should be obvious from RWR read-outs.

Pontiac 2 are armed with 4 x CBU-105, and 8 x GBU-12s. They should confirm that there are no threatening SA-15 traces before attacking each convoy.

We are unlikely to have enough weapons to destroy all targets even if all hit their targets. The CBUs should be retained until the convoys have come to a halt and groups of targets can be destroyed by a single CBU.

Finally, all ac are at max T/O AUW, and fuel should be conserved during the action. This can best be done by maintain in height and leaving a moderate power level set.

Please read these notes and look at the attached mission, and let me have any comments that they provoke
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Sorry, forgot the Mission file - attached now.
Attachments
T99- A-10 PG Sortie 2 Intel Map Edited.miz
(446.47 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
Apologies, I'm in Yorkshire till 14th April.
I will not be available to fly, or check your miz.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Will have a look tonight Alan
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

You may have seen the update. Apparently, the SP Artillery, don’t want to play, so they will be sending some alternative targets. No changes required to cater for this.

It will help if those who hope to attend, let me know through this thread.
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

I will be here next Tuesday 12th April Alan but am in Jersey on the 19th

Luis

Post by Luis »

Thank you Alan.
I guess I'm good to go, so, count me in please.
Cheers
Pilot Officer Luis - RAF Air UK
97th Squadron (A-10C II)
Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Alan,
I flew as pontiac 1 last night. Getting to the AO at 22k was no problem.

I managed to take out Sa15 from convoy 1 no problem. Like Duke pointed out, some of the convoy is stationary so took out a bundle with a single 105.

I then looked for the convoy that was moving with about 10 units. After taking lead vehicle with gbu12 they scattered to sides. Easy picking then with 105.

Like you say though, I can't see us having anything like enough ammo to get all of the tgts. Bit of a long way to go though to rearm so nerd to prioritise main tgts.

Other than that I had no issues

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

That was my experience, Richard. Just hope we get enough pilots to do a decent job.
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

I just test flew it Alan, No Problems that I can see, I took out 4 x SA-15 and 2 x ZSU-23-4 Shilkas, all with GBU-12's at above 22,000ft. Couldn't find the possibly last SA-15.

Paul
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”