Operation Persian Storm Sortie 2

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Operation Persian Storm Sortie 2

Post by Flyco »

Paul, there are apparently some problems with some of the red vehicles refusing to come out to play - I am told that they are going to fix that! The SA-15s will show on the RWR display, and provided everyone stays above 12,000 ft the Shilka can’t reach us.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Luis

Post by Luis »

I confirm.
Some units of the 2nd convoy seem to remain at the starting point and there are only 1 SA-15 en route, 2 Shilka and a few other units.
I wonder if some CBU-105s wouldn't be useful as they seem to have incompetent commanders. :twisted:
Pilot Officer Luis - RAF Air UK
97th Squadron (A-10C II)
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Luis, there is a mix of CBU-105s and GBU-12s aboard. CBU-105s are difficult to use against fast moving targets, but they should be very effective with cleaning up any vehicles that do get to their final point. They park close enough for up to 6 vehicles to be take out by a single CBU. However, for the moving targets I have found the GBU-12 is the optimum weapon. I had considered putting some guided rockets on, but the presence of Shilkas in the mix makes this a little dangerous.

I will put together a brief and publish it here in a day or two.
Image Image Image Image

Luis

Post by Luis »

I apologize if I explained myself wrong, it was a joke about the units not leaving the starting point (probably a configuration detail). The attack plan and payload is brilliant and work as a charm.
Pilot Officer Luis - RAF Air UK
97th Squadron (A-10C II)
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I assume most of you have flown the mission. Bear in mind that there will be changes to the final convoy. Also unless we have a very good turn-out, we will not have enough weapons to kill everything. It is essential that we do not have more than one pilot attacking the same target vehicle, that we go for priority targets, and we reserve our CBUs for when the convoys eventually park-up at WP 4.

I will re-emphasize all this in the full brief.
Image Image Image Image

Duke

Post by Duke »

I need to verify that the intel miz file I sent out with the convoys showing only a destination waypoint is to show their direction of travel down that road. They will not just come to a complete stop there and wait to die in open ground they are heading for Havadarya.

I did say this in the main post for in squadron flight thread.

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Outline brief is attached. Please let me have any questions or other points asap, and I will try and deal with them.

Also see note above from Duke, re the convoy continuing on beyond WP 4. We will try and take out the major units before they reach that point. I suggest that we allow any un-armed vehicles to pass, unless we are numerous and holding back the tide well.

There may be a problem with CBUs against moving targets. Those that want to swop them for GBUs feel free to do so. Once all the AD units are eliminated we should be able to drop from 10,000 ft, which might make aiming-off with the CDUs a little easier. I will try and do some aim-off practicing before then - for reference the vehicles are supposed to be doing 22 kts.
Attachments
No 97 Sqn Persian 2 Brief.pdf
(786.3 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Image Image Image Image

0415 Falcon

Post by 0415 Falcon »

Hi Alan,
thank you for the information provided and your time to plan the mission.
Sorry but I didn't have time at all to fly the mission and check it but i will be happy to fly and assist on Tuesday.
Depending on which flight i will be put(1 or 2), i might change slightly my loadout.

Br,
Filip
Flying Officer Filip " Falcon " - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Be good to see you there Falcon. We will allocate slots when we meet. Feel free to change your load - just as long as you get at least 12 kills!
Image Image Image Image

0415 Falcon

Post by 0415 Falcon »

Sorry Alan,
finally cannot make it, tshooting will keep me at work till late.
Apologies again...

Br,
Filip
Flying Officer Filip " Falcon " - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”