Op Faux Fulda - 05-07-2022

Aircraft: A10C
Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Re: Op Faux Fulda - 05-07-2022

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Not a problem Alan, If you want I'll lead this one, I'm sure the brief will supply me with all the information I'll need.

With Helios, did you forget to plug it in? or switch it on? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

C U Soon.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Flyco,
At last, some good news.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul, I have gone through the mission for next week, and have finished a provisional version, which I have attached.

You will see that I have used the current split of our aircraft into 2 separate flights. Flt 1 takes the tank convoy as their primary task, while Flt 2 takes the BMPs. I have included the provision for either Flt to help out the other if needed, and I have included routing for the 2 smaller Red units travelling abeam the main ones to be dealt with if we have the resources. All units have Shilkas accompanying them (total of 6), which I had planned to take out first using Mavs.

Unfortunately, when I tried to run it I discovered 2 problems:

The first is that the weather is so bad that our chances of taking out the accompanying Shilkas at low level are quite slim. I have not tried it from a higher level but the weather looks even more of a problem for that.

The second problem is that my 'loose connection' (that is my computer's loose connection rather than my personal one!), has apparently not been cured. It did not crash my set-up this time but I lost some essential input switches. Additionally, I need to do some work on tweaking my Screen set up to give a useable display with TGP and Mav, particularly in those weather conditions.

I will produce a full brief to accompany my proposal, but I wanted you, or some other experienced A-10 driver, to take a look at what I have produced to date. I thought it was complete and it is, I think, useable, but my PC control/display problems are making it difficult for me to run and fine-tune the mission.

I am more confident of getting back to normal working eventually (all the problematic inputs are on the same wiring link, making it look like poor connections - I hope!). But I wanted to let you know the state of play.
Attachments
Intel-050722-Faux-Fulda V2.miz
(347.01 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Flyco,
I haven't flown your miz, but downloaded, and had a quick look.

As you say, weather will be a challenge, as will selecting loadout.

At WP5:Tnks TOT, ground level is 1500ft, and rising as the tanks move East. With cloud base of 7900ft, it only gives 6400ft for GBUs and clusters.

Without testing, Mavs would be my first choice, taking the two shilka first. Not sure how good laser rockets would be against the tanks head on.

I wonder if buddy lasing could be an option.

It will be interesting. Sorry I'm going to miss it.
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have not changed the load out - I wanted to try the existing load. Each ac has 2 Mavs, like Geoff I think these will be a must, and if we only have 4 ac total, it might be worth uploading this to 4 per ac.

I went in low, after finding the total lack of horizon, plus the driving snow quite disorientating. The rockets,should be OK for the tanks - they are only T-52s. As for the rest of the load it is a mixture, but all should be useable from 5,000 ft agl - provided you can see the ground. If they stop after one of them is hit, which they often do, a blind drop on a pre-set point might be feasible. With all those targets, just be ac will have a task on!

Ah well back to my rat’s nest of wires!
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Flyco,
Myself, Luis, and Richard had a test fly tonight. When we have finished, I'll send you a few notes. To date,

Mavs seem favourite, if they are allowed.
Never pickled a CBU, with invalid fusing.
Rockets and guns maybe. I came under a lot of ground fire, trying to use guns.

Update:
Weather interesting. Transiting to WP5, I had to climb to 8000ft on QNH, for VMC. No targets visible on the TGP. Descended through a gap and levelled out at 1900ft. Found enemy on TGP, and did two attack runs, firing Mavs on both occasions. Two kills. Ran in again with rockets and guns, and lost both engines. Lots of ground fire.
Luis tried CBU97s without success. Could not drop any. Mavs worked well for him from 3000ft.
Richard had to leave early, due to early start tomorrow. He mentioned the weather.
Separation could be interesting. Luis and myself as a 2 ship retreated back to IP at different heights. That worked.

Buddy lasing will not work because laser weapons not allowed. Creating and sharing MPs at low level, could help with medium level clusters.
ImageImageImage

Luis

Post by Luis »

I ran the mission again and until I was shot by a Mig-21, I was feasting on the CBU-97s launched in CCRP at 5000 feet.
I made a wind correction with LASTE and the 97's behave as if they were guided weapons, this of course after detecting and destroying Shilkas and the column leader with Mavericks.
If I may, I would like to suggest no less than 3 (better 4) 97's and 2 pairs of Mav's.
Pilot Officer Luis - RAF Air UK
97th Squadron (A-10C II)
Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Luis,
Good to hear the CCRP 97 worked at 5000ft. I haven't used LASTE for a long time. I always found it was ineffective.
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul I hadn’t appreciated that laser weapons were out. That also excludes GBUs.
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Glad you spotted that, Alan, it's lucky we can still use CBU's.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “97 Squadron”