Op Faux Fulda - 05-07-2022

Aircraft: A10C
Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Re: Op Faux Fulda - 05-07-2022

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Yep, go ahead please, Alan, hopefully I will make this flight.

Yes I'm feeling a lot better now.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I see from discussion elsewhere that the coming Tuesday mission might be scrubbed.

I will nevertheless continue with my efforts to come up with a more sensible routing and procedure, I actually have the routes planned, and am trying to see if I can fly them before releasing them.

Unfortunately the weather conditions are a considerable problem. On the northern target, I have been unable to actually relate the terrain with the maps, making it particularly difficult. I have pruned out all the other aircraft and active units, and will publish it here in a day or two, so that you can try it and let me have any comments.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Hi guys,

I'm up for a re run, but I think the heat next week will make it un workable for most.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have put together a modified attack plan for Faux Fulda. Flt 1 goes for the main Tank elements, while Flt 2 goes for the BMP formation. Routes are pretty much direct, at a nominal 5000 ft (on QNH), putting the ac at around 2000-4000 agl. I have upped the Mavs to 4 per ac, leaving the rest of the load as a mix of laser-guided rockets, GBUs, and CBUs. Time from T/O to Tgt is around 20 minutes, using an IAS of 200 kias at 5,000 ft on QNH.

One problem I did discover was that the LGRs are only effective against the rear of tanks, and then not consistently. This is a change from previously, although probably more realistic. The main problem was knocking out the Shilkas, within the column, from a head-on run. The first 2 took out nearby tanks, although I probably fired from a little too far out. Fortunately the Shilka were more susceptible to the LGRs, of which I fired two at 4-5 nm. This range allows the hits to occur before getting into the Shilka's range - but it was a bit 'heart-in-mouth'. One Shilka fell to my third Mav and the other to 2 LGRs. With the Shilkas dead the T-55s were easy enough to hit, but not to kill, (and it was a pain having to take them from behind). I also tried using GBUs and CBUs but with little success, largely I suspect from the need to drop them from too low a level, and my ppp (piss-poor-preparation). I suggest that all ac carry 4 Mavs each.

I should add that I adjusted the Met, from Rain2 to Rain 1. It is possible in Rain 2, but very difficult. I suggest we ask that the Met be adjusted.

I have attached my mission. I removed all the other aircraft and anything that might interfere, and gave us a hot start with less time to waste before take-off. All the incoming target times were also adjusted so that they arrived where they should be at the original times, thus we meet them at the right place at the right time. If you want to try the mission in its original Met conditions, you can just change the initial page from Rain 1 to Rain 2. If you feel I am being a bit wimpish just let me know - (don't bother about my feelings - sob sob)
Attachments
My A-10 Element miz v5 Intel-050722-Faux-Fulda (1).miz
(344.02 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Alan,

Tried this tonight with Rain 1 & 2. Tough with the higher setting as need to be somewhat lower.

Took out the first BMP for Flight 2 targets and others scattered. No problem to pick those off with LGR.

Tried same with Flight 1 targets. They scattered but darn near impossible to take out with less than 4 LGR per target from behind. Will be using a lot of fuel up going round so that coming to target from behind. Was far easier with a CBU 97.

My PC died due to heat exhaustion after about 45 mins. I doin't think it will be happening for me tomorrow due to the heat I'm sorry to say.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Yes, totally agree with your assessment - particularly about not flying for a day or two. My system held out quite well for a good 2 hrs - which is more that I could say for me. That is the problem with a powerful PC - you melt!!

I did not get around to trying cluster weapons. However, provided you get a good ‘mark’ you should be able to climb IMC to a suitable height for a blind drop. Provided that you use an IN system and get the drop done before they gather their wits and set off again. The tanks do seem to be usually killed after 2 LGR hits in quick succession from their 6 o’clock.

If you are a 2-ship, I would suggest the initial run is made at about 5 nm trail. Lead goes for the first AA unit and calls if he missed; whereupon the No 2 should have a scattered convoy to aid in picking out the AA unit.
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Unfortunately the heat is getting to my system, it keeps freezing, so I won't be flying tonight either.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul, is ‘freezing’ the right term? I suggest ‘seizing’.
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Possibly, Alan, but I like the word Freezing, so I'm using it :D

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron