Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: 16th August Mission.

Post by Flyco »

Paul, sorry about delay. I had to make a number of changes to cater for the Tunguskas (which seem to be set at the top of their skill range). They were taking me out regularly by 7-8 nm, which makes the use of Mavericks a problem. However the cloud would make the use of GBUs (from 20,000 ft) even more problematic.

I have loaded extra Mavs, and included 4 A-10s, in the hope that a multi-ac - multi-Mav strike may do the trick. There are only 2 Tunguskas so it should be do-able, although since they are both within a mile of each other they can provide cross-support. They are also only really reachable from the West, and there is a SAM-2 battery to the east. I just hope we don't get any significant red fighter input, since we have to deliver them from around 9,00o to cater or ground undulations.

Take a look, and if you have any problems with it, let me know asap - It is due back with the planners by mid-day tomorrow. It might be worth asking for one, or both, of the Tunguskas to be 'turned-down' a bit - perhaps we could smuggle the crews a few crates of Vodka on the evening before!
Attachments
A-10C Intel RAFAir_Cyprus_Invasion_PH1_v1.1.miz
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Hi Alan, just test flown your latest file and all looks good for submission to Duke.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul - Mission submitted.

You may have noticed that I was calling the Tors Tanguskas. That explains why I was getting swatted so early - the Tor's range is of course 6.5 nm, whereas the Tunguska's is a mere 4.3. This will call for an early lock up (by WP6 - "10nm") and a double (or triple) "Rifle!" asap, with an immediate turn away. I would suggest we start with the tail-end Tor (~ WP6), turn out let to WP5, and then look for the second Tor around WP 7. Only, then do we knock out the two Shilka.

If we then stay above, 7000 ft or so, we should be relatively safe from fire from the tanks and artillery. I plan to use any remaining Mavs, followed by GBU-12s, and then the CBUs. There are 15 Artillery pieces and between the 2 of us we have 12 GBUs, and 4 CBUs, plus any remaining Mavs for these. By then, the tanks should be pretty much at their halt point, making any aim-off unnecessary with the CBUs. This assumes just the 2 of us - If we are (3 or even 4!) we should have no problems.

Main thing is to tread carefully until the Tors (and to a lesser extent the Shilkas) are knocked out. Might even get a chance to use guns against any remaining Tanks. (Tankies are best taken from the rear I understand - but don't tell Matt that I said so!)

Min fuel for recovery from 2000 ft overhead Hatay is around 2500 - or 1500 lbs if you are brave.
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Hi Alan, when I got in the pit, I noticed station 2 was empty so I put a 7 round pod of 282 LGR on it(just to counterbalance the TGP of course) :D . Can that be done on Tuesday or are we restricted to the loadout already on the aircraft?)

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I think that puts us over the max Take-off weight. However, we have time to re-load before departure if you want.
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Nice one, thanks Alan, The 7 round pod isn't that heavy and only requires a very small reduction in fuel to get under MTOW.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul, I have attached a brief for tonight’s mission
Attachments