Op Centurion Tues 6 December

Aircraft: A10C
Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Op Centurion Tues 6 December

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Hi Guy's next mission posted for Tues 6th December, Pilots required(Don't know why I'm posting for pilots as there only 3 of us at moment)

Anyway more information, frag and Miz file at this link: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5581

Alan, sorry to put on you again, but can you plan this one please.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Op Centurion Tues 6 December

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Will be there assuming I don't have to stay late at work. Will not know for def until the day though
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Fair enough, Richard.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Sorry can't be more difinite Paul but we are mega busy. Last Mon & Tues I didn't get home until gone 2230

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul, it looks do-able with a pair or better - it would be a bit protracted with a singleton! Only problem at the moment is the mission start time is set for 04:30 Z, and we need to take-off at 04:40. We need the start time re-setting to 04:00 Z game time.

I will check that and put some routes together covering 1 - 4 ac. I will then put it up here, and let the master-planner know about the timings.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Thanks, Alan.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Taking a little longer than usual. The weather is crap, and so I plan to ignore the 'precision weapons only requirement. We have 32 targets to hit, and with one precision weapon per target, I would not expect to live long enough to see the end of the exercise, even if I assume natural causes and not enemy action.

Hence, I will use precision weapons to take out the 4 ZSUs and retarded bombs to deal with the 28 soft-skins. The latter are very nicely lined up for us, and relatively easy to line up on at low-level.

Hope to get something to you before Friday.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Final(ish) version of 97 Sqn Op Centurian.

I have yet to fully test it, and it will require a fairly comprehensive brief, which I am about to start on.

I would be grateful if someone could give it a run and see how it feels. The weather is crap, hence the need to comply with heights. The order and assignation of targets is also a bit messy, with up to 3 ac flying at ~2000 ft in very low visibility.

Basically, I have allocated all targets to each aircraft, but in different orders. This is to cover the need to take out all 4 ZSUs before going to the main targets. I will cover this in the brief which should be available by the week-end.

In essence the first 2 a/c use two Mavs to take out the 4 ZSUs; if we run out of Mavs, we can use LG Rockets, taking care about not getting too close. With all the ZSUs out of play, the main targets will be taken out by lay-down retarded bombs runs. I have not reached that stage of testing yet, but, even with only 2 ac we should be able to get 70-80% with the bombs and then tidy up with LG Rockets and Guns. In the final stages there is going to be a major problem with identifying still-living targets among the smoke and congestion and friendly A-10s.

I have included both a Hot start and a Cold start. There is no time clash, so you cna go as you wish.
Attachments
WIP FinalCENTURION 97-2 Hot.miz
(59.54 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
WIP Final CENTURION 97-2 Hot.miz
(60.86 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

I will give it a bash at some point this evening Alan

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Mission Test Report

Alan,

I decided to remove the ZSUs from the mission, working on the basis that we would destroy them in good order.

Using only the weapons that you had pre loaded I ran in at 450' AGL 280kts on TGT N from the SE flying as #1. This gave a great view of both groups of trucks at the railway station.

MK82 Air were set to RIP SGL Qty 6 @ 75' spacing. Released on the line of 7 trucks. Spacing needs reducing to 50' as two bombs overshot. Managed to destroy five of the trucks with the four bombs that hit targets. The remaining two drove off across the railway line.

With the current wind direction it will be impossible to attack these targets from anything other than SE for any subsequent runs due to the dense black smoke.

For the larger group of 14 trucks at TGT N it will be worth removing some, if not most, MK282 and loading up with MK82 Air. Again the group will scatter after first run on this section.

Return to “97 Squadron”