Op Centurion Part 2 Tues 3rd January 2023

Aircraft: A10C
Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Op Centurion Part 2 Tues 3rd January 2023

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Hi guy's, Duke as announced the next Tues mission, Op Centurion part 2. Any of you available to participate in this one?

Unfortunately I will still be in Cornwall, so will not be able to fly this one.

Info here: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5586

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Op Centurion Part 2 Tues 3rd January 2023

Post by Flyco »

I should be around. I note that we have been asked to identify the type of target we would like to see. I would like to see a change from the standard block of targets waiting to be hit. I would suggest a line-search, either along a known route or routes, or within a defined area. Say, an artillery battery or a RW FOB etc. There will be a need for sensible air SAM/AAA element, taking note of our limited weapon range. Or possibly a bridge attack on a rail line.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

I can help with any testing, but unfortunately I won't make the mission as the 3rd is my wife's birthday and the kids are taking us out for a meal
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Duke

Post by Duke »

Just saw your reply/suggestion Alan, once you have confirmed I will put that target type in for you with appropriate aaa/sam defense for your aircraft capability. I have now bought and am learning the A10 so should have better knowledge of the jet. I may even like to join you as this Op will be A10 heaven !

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

You can have my seat Duke so long as you don't eat all the sweets I have stashed around the place
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Duke

Post by Duke »

Richard Rodgers wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 08:34 You can have my seat Duke so long as you don't eat all the sweets I have stashed around the place
I'm partial to a werther so as long as you haven't left any of those your safe, if you did consider them gone!

Duke

Post by Duke »

Briefing for OP https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing

Miz Intel File attached
Attachments
T99-CENTURION Part Two Intel.miz
(146.9 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Duke

Post by Duke »

Return your miz files by 21:00 28th Dec please

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have put together an outline sortie for this mission. Total of 4 x A-10s, flying as 2 pairs - but could be flown by a singleton.

Operating at 13,000 ft, initially using GBU-12s and GBU-54Bs - 3 of each. These are to take-out the 2 bridges, 3 x ZSUs and 2 x AOCs, from around 13,000 ft. Very hilly with peaks up to 12k+ in the area. With all the significant AAA gone, rockets are used to destroy the FOB and soft targets. They are LG rockets, to cater for any armoured stuff passing by, but can be used without guidance to saturate the main target area

The 2 bridges are actually indestructible, but burn quite well. No mobile convoys were on the initial plot, but some can be expected later on. Similarly no Red air.

One ac would have problems completing the task but 3, or even 2 should make quite a mark.

I will put the initial sortie up here for anyone to try, and will clean it up and publish the final version by 28 Dec. Not certain whether i will be available - depends on Xmas visitors!
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Provisional sortie for 97 attached. It is a hot start to make testing and practice a little easier.

I have included 4 A-10s, but at a pinch could be lown by a singleton. The Targets are numbered in order of priority (I think). That is: the 2 Bridges (they will burn but not be destroyed), the 3 fixed ZSUs, and finally the main FOB.

In addition, my reading of the scenario is that AFV will pass (east to west) over the two bridges, and along the road running immediately south of the FOB. I take it that these are also a high priority. If they do enter the area it will be be necessary to knock out any AA elements initially. GBUs should be retained for this purpose, and the LG rockets used to take out the main FOB etc.

No info about red fighters.

I will try and prepare a brief, although it should be fairly simple. I usually laser illuminate for the GBU 54 (belt 7 braces!).
Attachments
97 Hot T99-CENTURION Part Two Intel.miz
(150.18 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Image Image Image Image

Return to “97 Squadron”