Op Centurion 3

Aircraft: A10C
Flyco
Site Admin

Op Centurion 3

Post by Flyco »

Paul, I got a message from you last week about preparing a plan for Op Centurion 3, to which i replied. I now cannot find that topic in the current file-list, so I have opened this.

I do have a mission insertion, but am having problems with the original brief. I have gone back to Andrew to seek clarification.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Re: Op Centurion 3

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Ok Alan, saw your post to Andrew.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul, attached is my proposed routing for next week. Sorry, about the delay, but I had some problems with the route, as you will have seen. As I understand it, there was no start time for the Red vehicles and so they started when the mission started. The result was that they reached their destination before we could get on the scene. The result is that instead of having to search the route we had them all in one area. The bad news was that they were very difficult to get to, with the broken cloud at around 8000 ft. Additionall, they are on a small hilly patch with some troublesome trees.

I did a few check flights and found that the cover was not solid, and it was often possible to see the park-up rea through the high cloud rom above 20,000 ft. That gave us the opportunity of locking the 2 AAA elements from a safe height and then using a JDAM through the cloud. That would leave only small arms fire (and possible ManPads). I've flown it a few times and it is a bit 'pot-luck' but do-able.

Thus I have included 2 flts, ideally of at least 2 ac each, but that is not critical. The 'sniper' pair climb to 22,000 ft and route to the target overhead, where they 'lock up' the 2 AAA elements with the TGP, before running in and pickling. They both will need to pickle within 5 secs of each other to avoid the second target from scattering - as is their wont! It is not critical if they do scatter, but we would then need to re=locate them and re-lock them. With the main AAA out of the way this element can either descend below cloud to join the main group. They could pick out some targets through the cloud - but that could endange the main force 15000 ft below them.

The main group transit to the area at 7000 ft, and set up for their runs from the sea - west to east. They do have Mavs, just in case the high group cannot take out the AAA. There is a variety of weapons, but the main problems are going to be avoiding mid-airs and maintaining attack discipline.

Once I have had some feedback, i will produce a fuller brief.

Obviously if you, or anyone spots any snags, an early warning or suggestions, will allow us to sort it out.
Attachments
CENTURION III A-10C.miz
(150.03 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Thanks very much Alan, I'll check it in a bit.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Hi Alan,

Just to be clear, the units will be travelling along the coastal road when you arrive over the target area. They will start moving when you take off with a trigger.

If you prefer to have them parked up, I can set that instead.

Just let me know.

Cheers
Andrew
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Thanks, Andrew. I have no strong views - as in real life, we cannot dictate what action that bad-guys take.

I have tried to cater for any Red-force departures from our expectations. It probably won’t be necessary to amend our basic plan in either case. I will leave it to the boss to decided.

Over to you Paul.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

This mission is changing, and my original flight plan will require changes also. The need for the high-level element has disappeared, and so all A-10s will fly the same route, maintaining 7,000 ft throughout. The timings and routes of the red vehicles are also not as I had thought. Because Andrew is still finalising the details, I will produce an update brief nearer the actual mission, probably by late Monday.

I will leave the basic route, the departure times, and the weapons load-outs as they were. We will now be looking for convoys on the coastal road, and I will draw up a series of reference holding points, together with specific identifiable points on the coast. It should be possible to give approximate times at which the convoys will be at those points.

Assume holds inbound on East, between 12 and 6 nm from the coast. We will take out AAA as before without getting too close, using Mavs. After that we should be able to get a little closer and use LGB rockets and bombs, although there will always be a risk of Manpads.
Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Alan, I have messaged you with the miz with the triggers in if you want to take a look.
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Things have changed! I am trying to get an update so as to have a coherent (or semi-coherent) plan for tomorrow evenings brief. I will publish this asap, and, if necessary, will give a verbal brief before we depart.

For the present, expect to route out at 7000 ft, with about 2 minutes between the 2 flights. We will establish separate Holding Pts/IPs about 10-12 nm from the coast, from where Flt Leaders will direct pairs of ac onto and Radar emitting SAMs, using Mavericks. Depending on the total number of SA-8s and SA-19s, we should aim to fire multiple Mavs so as to avoid the SAMs from knocking them down. With all emitters eliminated, we can close on the coast and Flt Cdrs will identify targets for attack.

It is likely to be quite congested, so good control and airmanship will be required.

Speak to you all tomorrow evening, with the hope of getting a written brief out before then. For the present, take a look at my earlier miz's, and assume: Using R/W 26, 10 sec between a/c, 1-2 min between Flts, routing at 7000 ft 240 kias to a common Coast-out Pt, setting up holds on separate Holding Pts, ID-ing and knocking out the Radar SAMs, then setting about what is left before returning home in triumph!
Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

It's basically the same mission. I have increased the targets as there are more of you. MBT's will have SA19, SA8 and Shilka accompanying some of the convoys.
I have managed to get them to move a long the road (my fault not DCS) :oops: . They will start moving at 12:00:00z.
Do you need anything else? Just let me know.
97 Targets.jpg
97 Targets.jpg (247.88 KiB) Viewed 551 times
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Return to “97 Squadron”