Server Issues

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Re: Server Issues

Post by Neil Willis »

All 3 versions of DCS World are now affected by the server problems, which makes me think it may even be hardware related.

Currently we can only really fly multiplayer missions by local hosting or piggybacking someone else's server.

Apologies to all our membership for this, but we are doing all we can to resolve it as soon as possible.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

If it is any help, I have a copies of SRS 1.2.9.2 to 1.4.2.0 ( I never throw anything away!). However, I am not sure that running it would revert to the earlier version. It is probably best to sort out our other serer issues, before we revert.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Neil, could this be anything to do with that auto restart thing that Matt has put on the server?

Next question is, how long would it take to remove everything from the server and re-install bit by bit? The only issue that I see with this though is that Eagle are saying 2.5 is out very soon and in which case it may be better to wait for that and then remove everything and put just 2.5 on there.

I'm at home today so give me a call if you wish and we can have a chat.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

No I do not think so Richard, these issues started before I had set up the auto restart it has infact been noticed since the release of 1.5.8 and the new harrier from ED, and the auto restart has only been used on DCS 2.0 not 1.5.7 or 1.5.8, and it has also currently been deactivated and deleted due to the issues to ensure it is not the culprit along with running a repair on 2.2 to ensure it is its original state. On top of this if it was the scripts only 2.0 would be affected as the other installs are "fresh" due to the complete reinstall of 1.5.8.

But i removed the whole restart stuff a few days ago but the issues are still there, most notible on 1.5.8 and 2.2 both having recent updates from ED, but this still doesnt explain how we can host missions locally with success but not from the server.
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

I would agree with Matt, and we ought to wait until 2.5 arrives before we rebuild the entire server.

First, I'd like a thorough health check carried out, to ensure there are no glitches that are standing in the way. Jim is the man to do that I think as I know very little about how the back side of the server works.

I suspect it is either a compatibility issue somewhere in the software, or maybe flaky hardware - memory or drives may be to blame.

1.5.8 has been completely re-installed from scratch twice already, and so I don't think it is down to a corruption there. The software works fine on other servers, and when it is set up locally, so I think we can rule out bugs there.

Everything points to the server side of things being the issue.
ImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

okay, so not the restart thing.

I have just conducted a little experiment. Checked which servers were active and could see 1.57 and 2.2.

Fired up and connected to 1.57 no problem and was getting 35fps, even with my i3 rig in the pit. Outside view was close on 60fps and not a stutter in sight.

However, 2.2 is a whole other story. Whilst connecting to our server I went away and made a cuppa and it still hadn't loaded by time I got back. Took all of 4.5 mins to connect. Total crap really.

Finally got into the pit on a Harrier and fps stared at 3 and dropped to 1 within 20secs. Couldn't do anything.Logged out of our server and connected to one of the TAWDCS servers. Exactly same result as with ours. Ages to load then 1-2 fps. That sort of points to it not being a major(if at all) issue with our server.

I then went on to try 2.2 locally. Still crap loading but slightly faster than when on the servers. FPS was still dreadful with 5 when entering the pit and then bouncing around anything between 2-8. Couldn't look around as that just put the FPS on the floor.

Yes in the past when ED have brought out a major change we have had server issues, but not like this. Trouble is that God alone knows if 2.5 will be any better, and if it isn't, once it is out we will loose the ability to use 1.57 so that we could at least do something

Now from my unscientific test, I feel it points to DCS and not our hardware as such. What we need to remember is that we have run 1.58 as a server on Neil's rig and was okay, but his rig is waaaayy better spec than the server. Obviously if it turns out that we need a better, faster server etc that is then going to be an issue as I have yet to find one as cheap as ours with even the same spec as ours, never mind better. Unfortunately I am still having to prop up the server even on what we pay at the moment.

Has anyone rebooted the main server? Not just DCS, but the main server.

Frankly I have no real idea what to do. I have sent Jim a text but not heard a dickie bird. Have spoken to Clyde today and have got the login for the server control panel at OVH but I do not wish to go blindly clicking things, not that it could be much worse for 1.58/2.2, but I don't want to bugger up 1.57.

Regarding the OVH login Neil. If Jim contacts you, Clyde had to reset the password as he couldn't remember it so I will PM you the new password.

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

I have had good frame rates with 2.2 on our server on odd occasions, and I have no doubt that 2.2 is part of the problem with you getting such low frame rates. We also had 1.5.8 running on the server with some people being able to run on it.

Unfortunately, now 1.5.8 invariably crashes on our server, yet it clearly runs elsewhere.

I have rebooted it half a dozen times, but the problem still persists.

You may well be right in thinking we have run out of headroom, and the server no longer has the power to support DCS World. If so, then I may just build a second machine here to run as a server. I do think I may need faster internet to make it run well though.

What are the specs of the server Richard, do you know off hand?
ImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Sorry Neil. Been busy with sorting lights and tree out.

Anyway, our server is not a dedicated 'Gaming server', but it is apparently a fast normal server that Jim sourced for us.

Here is a link to the one we have https://www.soyoustart.com/en/offers/1801sys041.xml

They do have Gaming Servers available (https://www.soyoustart.com/en/game-servers/) so one of these may be a more suitable option for the future. However, due to the increased cost of these I can see we would only really be able to have one if we had somewhat more commitment from the troops chipping in each month and that then could p**s people off if we actively ask for donations.

Obviously the cheapest option is to host one ourselves but that in itself could cause issues to start with as we would not know for definite it will work until it is first put online. I have no idea of cost for a do it ourselves option. Could you poss do a bit of research for us. I am happy to chip in the pot towards our own option as apart from electricity and odd broadband costs it will be a one off purchase.

Broadband speed is an issue as I can imagine that DCS is rather heavy on bandwidth. Mine at home on a good day is 45-50mb. Work I get 70+ on BT Infinity but I have a monthly quota. I can upgrade to unlimited at a cost. My only issue with having one at work is the security aspect as I have various NAS drives etc that would be on the same router access. I dare say it can be set up so it is secure by restricting ports etc but I am always wary with stuff at work.

One of those damned if we do, and damned if we don't situations and like I said before. I have no idea what to do for the best.

Look forward to hearing thoughts and prices

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

UPDATE

Don't know for definite, but I may have stumbled upon something for DCS settings on our server.

need to catch up with you on TS Neil at some point so you can have a look at a couple of lua files.

If you are around tomorrow evening about 1930 ish I will get on to TS

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Good to hear Richard. I will be around to have a chat. 19:30 is fine.

I have ways of defraying the cost of the PC and infrastructure, so no problem with setting it up and running it.

I don't honestly think we need a hi-spec gaming server per-se as there are no graphics demands and not much central processing, so I don't think we need to up the spec of the server. Truthfully, until ED get their dedicated server system sorted we're in limbo anyway.

I would even question again whether we actually need a central server at all if we can run one here, and allow access to it under controlled circumstances, to a select group of administrators. All we really need is extra bandwidth on the internet connection - if that is available here, and I can even defray the cost of that to a business given that we will be piggy-backing on a dual-purpose machine.

So really, we have plenty of options even if the current server is not up to the task.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Dedicated Flight Server”