Temporary Back-up Server

Flyco
Site Admin

Temporary Back-up Server

Post by Flyco »

Despite DCS's blinkered denial of a problem, there does seem to be a problem with gaining access to DCS-based dedicated servers, such as our standard 'France-based' server. I had set up (I think) a dedicated server on my spare PC. I say 'think' because I have not been able to access it to load a mission. I believe that this is the problem showing on the RAFAir server - it is running but the GUI access to it is is not available, making it impossible to change the mission. Fortunately, thanks largely to Matt's having made the training program re-set at intervals, we are still able to use it.

That is my assessment of the current position.

However, I have set up a non-DCS-dedicated server on my PC, which appears to be accessible (it doesn't use the DCS GUI), and a quick check last night with Ade, confirmed that he could see it. I propose therefore to leave this running for a while, and would ask those who can to give it a try and let me know the results.

It is running an earlier version of the Caucasus Training Mission, and appears on the List as "RAF Air Flyco's Server". It has the same password as our normal server but with my moniker appended to it. I will try and keep it running during normal hours over the next few days, but it is an elderly machine (like its owner) and I will need to close it down when I am out, and overnight. The mission has a number of anomalies, notably a delayed start for certain aircraft, and, unlike Matt's version does not re-start.

I emphasize that I am trying to ascertain that it is useable for our training nights, so that we can change the mission, and for use as a spare. If it proves successful, I will look at re-vamping the default program.

Please give it try, preferably in concert with other members and let me know how it goes.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Temporary Back-up Server

Post by Flyco »

Sorry, I should have added that it does not have SRS installed, but our standard SRS is still running OK through our normal server. It also doesn't have Tacview running - which is a pain. However, if it proves successful longer term I will look at remedying both of those drawbacks.
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Hi Alan, just joined your server, but it was paused, and I couldn't do anything.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Sorry about that Paul. I tried myself and found it paused. I just needed to hit pause on the server PC. Done that and it seems to work OK now.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Having done some research into the new DCS Dedicated server, I have concluded that it is just the Web GUI which is not working - a problem noted by dozens of DCS users, but apparently refuted by DCS. I have set up a Dedicated Server on my second PC, which runs OK, once there is a mission loaded.

Aye, and there's the rub. The only way to change the mission is to go into the serversettings.lua and insert the required mission name manually. I suspect that you also need to delete all the other missions listed in the serversettings.lua, to ensure that the correct one (i.e. the only one left) is loaded.

I haven't tried to do this on the Squadron server yet, but it seems to work on mine. The result is that I can run a server and fly a mission on my old PC (albeit at low fidelity and performance) and also fly the mission as a second aircraft on my new PC. Well I could if I had a spare set of hands, feet, eyes, and controls, triple the brain cells, and two separate arses to sit on! (Actually make that 5 times the brain cells to make up for natural wastage)

It also means that there looks to be no reason why we shouldn't install the TacView on our server in the south of France. Perhaps Ade could ask Kieran to do that for us.

If everyone is content, I will have a go at loading a different mission on our remote server next week - caveat emptor, naturally.
Image Image Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

I was thinking of purging all the missions and re-adding them Alan, so go ahead and have a play. Don't worry, things can't get any worse than it not working except with the Generic mission.

Hopefully, we can resolve the problem soon!
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I will leave it for this evening Neil, since the generic is already running on it. However, I will set up a mission for next Tuesday.

I will also put down on paper how to change the mission. It just involves going into the Saved Games, and amending one line in the Serversettings.lua.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Dedicated Flight Server”