Server Questions

Robbo

Server Questions

Post by Robbo »

Hi there, After many months away my schedule is such that I can start flying the Harrier again, which is great news for me :D

I logged onto Server 1 last night as a technical check to ensure mods, srs etc where working and I spawned just before the OCU took off. I listened on Kutaisi tower, 134.000, as they departed and was intending to fly and do a few circuits but it became clear that if I had done so I would have been right in the middle of their scenario because they remained on twr frequency and the action took place relatively nearby Kutaisi.

Now that there are two servers active is there any etiquette I need to be aware of regarding what each server is for? I don't want to interrupt or interfere in someone's training exercise?

I then moved onto Server 2 to avoid the OCU activity and I couldn't get the ATIS to work. Do I need to do anymore than tune the published frequency?
Other than that I think everything worked well from a technical point of view and I enjoyed a short flight and a little bit of (failed) AAR :D

Is there anything I need to know before joining the RAF AIR UK servers again?
Plt Off Ian 'Robbo' Robson
Image Image

john (scooby)

Re: Server Questions

Post by john (scooby) »

just speak to them on comms? they dont bite. well yogi might if he smells a kill :lol:
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Thanks John, I agree with the principle of your response, but it didn't seem appropriate, or polite, to interrupt their internal comms during an active A2A engagement to ask questions.
Plt Off Ian 'Robbo' Robson
Image Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Robbo wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 11:39 Thanks John, I agree with the principle of your response, but it didn't seem appropriate, or polite, to interrupt their internal comms during an active A2A engagement to ask questions.
drop ade/roon a messege in ts if theyre active or pm him here
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

If they were using the local ATC frequency for internal chat, I see nothing wrong with interrupting them to get ATC start, T/O clearances etc..
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Mad dog

Post by Mad dog »

Flyco wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 14:10 If they were using the local ATC frequency for internal chat, I see nothing wrong with interrupting them to get ATC start, T/O clearances etc..
^^^^^ this. The ATC channel is for exactly that, ATC. If folk are chatting on it or using it for a flight frequency, you can deconflict your departure etc. by talking on it too. Without a human ATC, it is both their and your responsibility to declare your intentions, avoid other traffic and maintain your lookout based on what is coming over the radio.

For this precise reason, I do not like staying on the ATC channel after I have left the CTR which we all seem to do on mission nights.
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

I would add though if a group are flying within the CTR of any airfield the comms of that tower needs to be monitored and communicated on by that group as any other aircraft wishing to use that airfield has to be able to hear the groups intentions and communicate yours with them without danger of conflicting movements.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Return to “Dedicated Flight Server”