Hosting a server

Telson

Re: Hosting a server

Post by Telson »

Update 07/08/2021
My Server now has 32GB ram installed so should run smoother.
The server will restart at midnight tonight and a updated Operation_Clear_Field_Escalation mission will be started from scratch.

I have updated the airbase capture script to spawn in air defences when an airbase is captured. Reinforcement will still be needed by Troops and vehicles being dropped off by Helicopter pilots.

Telson

Edit:
The edit I did for the airbase capture has caused a scripting error so have reverted back to the previous mission.
0527 Simon "Telson" Few
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn
Image Image

Telson

Post by Telson »

My server now hosts 2 seperate persistent missions.

RAF Air persistant Modern:
Operation Clear Field Escalation, this is a persistent, open world PvE playground for the Caucasus map. The mission will randomly choose targets throughout the map. You can fly any role you like, and if you are on your own, you can use the radio menu to request support flights of AI planes to assist you. Most modules have been included. You will be flying against the Russians. AI commander will try to capture airfields, The mission utilises Moose functions and custom scripts. Use the radio menu to locate assigned targets.
Server password: rafair

RAF Air Persistant WWII:
Operation Crystal Sea, this is a persistent, open world PvE/PvP playground for the English Channel WW2 map. The mission will randomly choose targets throughout the map. AI commander will try to capture airfields, The mission utilises Moose functions and custom scripts. Use the radio menu to locate assigned targets.
Server password: rafair

Each instance has its own SRS server with auto connect setup.
0527 Simon "Telson" Few
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn
Image Image

Telson

Post by Telson »

Server will update to DCS 2.7.5.10869 Open Beta over night
0527 Simon "Telson" Few
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn
Image Image

Telson

Post by Telson »

Thanks to the guys that jumped on tonight, The server seemed to hold its own, I will have to either look again at the SRS server, I think it may be my router being a pain as SRS works fine some times but not others, or I could just Auto connect to one of the existing Raf Air Servers if I could get permission.
There are a few tweaks needed to the mission but I quite enjoyed the sortie, it does make it a lot more fun when you don't have a clue what's around the next hill.
Any feedback you guys have would be great.
Telson
Last edited by Telson on 17 Aug 2021, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
0527 Simon "Telson" Few
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn
Image Image

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

It was grand Telson, great flight with you boys again!
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Telson

Post by Telson »

OK taken a look at SRS and I think its UPNP being a pain, I have now port forwarded manually.
Next issue is the wall of information when you request target info, it looks like it is displaying once for everyone on the server rather than just once.
0527 Simon "Telson" Few
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn
Image Image

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

The text will be in the triggers I'd imagine, separate entries for each unit, changing it to one entry for the coalition would work better so the info should only display once.
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Telson

Post by Telson »

I have been looking into a different Persistent mission that uses a lot of the scripts out off Operation Clear Field I have been using, the new mission has a lot more going on and planning ahead is needed.

The server has a mod installed but it is a server side mod so clients don't need to use it.

I am still in the testing phase but its looking really good so far.

The DSCM Rafair mission is located on the syria map, it is a PVE mission. Each side has an AI commander that sends out supply aircraft or vehicles, and also launches basic fighter cover over their own airfields.

Warehouses and factories create supplies, airfields hold and use supplies and resupply each other via an infrastructure network, you use up supplies, fuel, weapons and airframes doing missions, Airfields, Sam Sites, FARPs, troops, in fact everything uses supplies.
You can capture enemy airfields, warehouses and factories with troops deployed by Helicopters, once captured the supplies at that facility will be part of your supply network and will start to resupply your airfields and FARPs.

Supply convoys leave factories to the warehouses, warehouses then send convoys to airfields when they get low on supplies, Airfields will also launch cargo aircraft to resupply nearby airfields if they are low on supplies and that airfield has plenty.
The whole map is persistent including road networks and buildings, you can cut off the supply to the enemy by destroying the road bridges or hunting down the resupply convoys or aircraft, remember that you may need the road network to supply the airfield if you capture it. Destroyed enemy vehicles are also saved and will be in the same location when the server restarts, to keep the simulation going destroyed vehicles on roads are removed.

As well as the fixed enemy units, Airfields and FARPs there are also random convoys and troops traveling throughout the map, these are all dependant on the enemies supplies. If an airfield runs out of supplies it can't launch aircraft or troop convoys etc, and the SAM sites and AAA will run out of missiles and bullets. The same goes for allied airfields.

The mission has an extensive Helicopter menu to transport troops, vehicles and weapons and build FARPs and defences, everything has a weight that effects the flight of the Helicopter. Internal stores and sling loading is enabled. there is also CSAR enabled to rescue downed pilots.

The system works by saving everything to a database every 5 minutes, when the last player leaves the server the DCSM server side mod creates a new .miz file from the database ready for the server relaunch.

I still need to work out a way to reload the updated mission automatically on server restart.
The server will automatically launch the last mission that was last loaded.
The base mission is called DSMC_Rafair.miz so this will load as default.
DSMC creates a new .miz file every time the last player leaves the server and names the sequentialy, if 20 people come and go there would be be 20 .miz files in the mission folder the last called DSMC_Rafair_020.miz
I need to work out a way to move all DSMC_Rafair***.miz files except the last one created and then rename the last one DSMC_Rafair.miz, The server would then load that mission on server restart.
Anyone here good with powershell or .bat files?

Telson
Last edited by Telson on 19 Aug 2021, 17:38, edited 2 times in total.
0527 Simon "Telson" Few
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn
Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Will there be any way to know what defemses etc the enemy has.

Your previous mission was tough due to setting off with a mission to take out an air to ground target only to find it defended to the hilt by SAMs on route etc that you have no idea were there or where they even are. Difficult to plan the sortie without any intelligence. Or should we go and do recon missions first to establish?

Fog of war would even be better than nothing.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Telson

Post by Telson »

The trouble with fog of war is that any friendly aircraft will discover enemy units, this makes it pointless as Tankers and Jtacs will discover all the enemy units on the map within a few minutes of you joining.
I did watch you on the map a bit last night and I would not recommend attacking anywhere near an airfield as a lone aircraft. There are friendly AI aircraft (fighters, Sead, Anti-ship) you can request to parts of the map to help you out.
0527 Simon "Telson" Few
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn
Image Image

Return to “Dedicated Flight Server”