Op Separatist Aggression

David Lindau

Re: Op Separatist Aggression

Post by David Lindau »

Good comments there Alan,
If we don't discuss these things we will lose momentum. As keeping up to date with a developing SOP provides an continuing challenge for the more experienced members as well.

When talking about SOP and Brevity, It's always good to provide background to how you reached your conclusions, as having an understanding to for example the difference between "tally" and "visual" help's you remember to use the right call.
In the case of "Push" the only background we have is that you hate it :D
My thoughts on push brevity.
"Push victor 130" - for me it's associated with pushing button's on the radios
"Pushing thru angels 10" - informative call of your (or flights) current attitude, informing that you are currently in a climb.
"Climb to angels 10" - a directive/order call telling you to change alt.

Using different Brevity on informative v.s. directive R/T, I think is good practise as radio quality settings will not be on "max" all the time.
When writing Brevity SOP i suppose you looking to de-conflict words that sound similar (start with the same pronunciation) in a similar context.
Mind you also that all thou I can chat a bit in english it's not my native language, and some blokes around here have more or less of an accent going on. :mrgreen:

I prefer and use "Lead" myself when I operate.
All thou in my world "Lead" represents the Leading/Commanding aircraft of the flight which might not necessarily be Tiger-One.
Lead might pass command to tiger-3 if he for some reason has to leave the AO, for various reasons. Tiger 3 is still Tiger 3 but also Tiger Lead?

As for TGP on target I can talk/practise with you any time. (when I'm back home)
My few findings.
- TAD to EXP2 mode, when working target AO.
- Hook on tad to "hook cursor" (check distance from reference to other positions, especially friendly A/C if your lead. break em off if they do not tally)
- Set a waypoint on target location, either from briefing or initial contact with JTAC. (if Lead give grids to all of your flight and use same name on waypoint) I usually call this point ECHO.
- Set a second waypoint close by or when the first target is called out ECHO-TWO, I use this as "current" tasking or target. (normally have this selected on hud)
If I get tasked to hit a target I replace the coordinates on ECHO-TWO and slew the TGP on that target.
- Drop markpoints every time you spot a group or single target on the TGP.
- Set SPI using the TAD on the MFCD, and slew your TGP to that SPI.
- After initial orientation and placing of orbit/IP point, turn MAP off on the TAD.
- Don't try and fly formation and go heads down at the same time, de-conflict flight in altitude and "set up shop" at least 15nm out.
- Set a tight45° orbit and use the time when the TGP is blind to gather S/A by eyeballing the A/O and check friendly A/C locations on the TAD.
- Change bullseye on CDU anchor page, to the ECHO WP. Set HUD to ON.
- Zoom out WIDE, when slewing the TGP, if something looks like something investigate with NARROW (china fwd) and return to search in wide.

I could probably continue with the list but I've got to hit the sack.

Oh! and Neil how do you change the slew rate on the TGP? :D

Best
David

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

David you mentioned changing your Bullseye/anchor point. Isn't the whole idea of the bullseye that it's a uniform reference point for ALL flights, not just your own?

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

I think he means changing the HOOK on the TAD, the position of the Bullseye/Anchor can't be moved as far as I know.

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Yep, the bullseye is set in the mission planner, and it is a fixed reference point.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

OK, I have trawled the depths of my memory - no mean feat when you're an old codger like me!

The slew rates are adjustable for the TGP via the second STAT page on the MFCD.

1. Press stat
2. Press next (OSB 1)
3. Use OSB 2 to scroll down to THRTL
4. Enter a value (4.0 is the default, and lower numbers increase the slew rates) on the scratch pad using the UFC
5. Press OSB 8 (labelled SLEW) and you will see the number you chose appear (Like entering your Net IDs)
6. Test and adjust slew rates until you are happy.

This procedure will need to be done at the beginning of each flight, so just make a note of your preferred slew rate, and make it part of your start up routine.
ImageImageImage

David Lindau

Post by David Lindau »

Aah very nice Neil, I'll be sure to try that out when I get back.

As for the Bullseye,
What I meant to say, was that you can change your Anchor point to something else than the bullseye and have it displayed on your HUD.

I will try and recall how from memory as I'm away from my "pit" at the moment.
I think it is UFC Waypoint then on the CDU -> Anchor-point, type in name of the waypoint you want ECHO, TGT, MSN001 what ever you have programmed into your CDU, and input that where it says "bullseye".
Then on the bottom left of the same page in the CDU it says DISPLAY, change this to ON.

As I have yet to receive a bulls call on targets when we fly I prefer to have this set to the general target location, as it give's me a quick reference of my position in relation to the general target area.
If you want to change it back to bullseye, simply change it back by typing bullseye in the scratchpad and enter it back on the same OSB.

I'm unsure if this changes the bull-hook mode on the TAD, I'm guessing it will as it changes/moves the bulls symbol location on the TAD.

Side-note.
I always use left control + left windows key, and write on the keyboard to enter values into the scratchpad, using the right MFCD in CDU mode.

Best/D

David Lindau

Post by David Lindau »

Back to Alan's general S/A target finding issues.

Keep in mind that you can set your SPI on most of the symbols being shown on the TAD, slew TAD cursor over the symbol and press TMS? up long.
If you are trying to set the TGP in reference to another point on the TAD, hook the symbol that is your from location (make sure you have set hook cursor/cursor hook (to of from)) slew the cursor from the hooked object until you show the correct distance and direction, place a mark-point TMS right, put you SPI on that location/markpoint TMS up long. Then SOI TGP, and slew TGP to SPI china hat FWD long.

Looks a-bit complicated when you write it down :?

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

That's interesting thanks David,

Another option to speed up the slew of the TGP is to increase the saturation in the control settings. I haven't tried it but it should solve the problem permenantly.

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Just a quick insight into the perpetual explosion issue some of you encountered in mission 1...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=142655

It appears to be the same bug, and a solution is beyond our scope - we have to wait for a fix from ED it would seem, so in the interim, we ought to just substitute GBU 12s for the cluster bombs. Less effective, but it will help frame rates drastically.

I will therefore add a new Op Separatist Aggression mission 1 and 2 without cluster bombs loaded on the A-10Cs.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Briefings”