Proposed New Mission

The 'Why, Where and How To' about mission planning in DCS
Flyco
Site Admin

Proposed New Mission

Post by Flyco »

I am trying to write a mission for use on our server - I was hoping to have it in time for my evening running on 4 Feb 16, but having begun, I think that looks very optimistic at present. I will try and outline it here, seeking suggestions and inputs, and any offers of advice or assistance. For example, I do not have, or know anything about, the Mirage, In addition, I am unsure whether running it in parts on my PC will test it adequately for use on the server.

This mission will use the NTTR database, but as an undefined desert area somewhere between the Horn of Africa and Turkey (approximately!). The scenario will define a border between 'Badland' and its neighbour (guess what? yes - 'Goodland'), to whom we are offering support. The intelligence suggests that Badland is planning to cross the border and occupy a couple of Goodland's towns/villages and a military base, via one or more passes through the intervening mountains. They have set up fixed SAM sites on nearby mountains, and are grouping irregulars with soft-skinned and limited armoured support and some organic AA defences.

We have deployed up to 8 x A-10Cs and 4 x Mirages, near the border, to show support and to intervene if necessary. However, we will not have authority to cross the border or even to fire across it. There is a likelihood of the bad guys having limited obsolescent air support, in the form of helicopters, Mig 15s and the odd Mig 21 - hence the Mirage cover. (I fancy trying the A-10 against the Mig 15, but I'm not so confident against the Mig 21). I don't envisage AWACs involvement, but there will be AAR (for Mirages too if it's released by then). Given the limitations of the Migs, I think this may make for a reasonable well balanced, if asymmetric, conflict - with the odds generally leaning in our favour. (So as to give Neil a chance to get a landing in.)

Can anyone see any problems with such a mission? More specifically, is it going to be possible to use AI Mig 15s in such a mission? I would also like some suggestion as to what would be a reasonable enemy force (air and ground) for the aircraft numbers we are planning to run.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Re: Proposed New Mission

Post by Neil Willis »

You can use MiG-15s as AI, and even specify how they'll engage Alan.

8 A-10Cs should be able to take out an entire brigade strength formation in no time at all. 4 Mirages should cope with 2 flights of MiG-15s at any given time, or probably an equal number of MiG-21s I would think.

Have you seen that we can place windsocks on any airfield too now? They're no good for gauging wind strength, but they work well for direction.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

That's the advantage of the Caucasus region; there are dozens of smoking factory chimneys.

Thanks for your input about my mission. I will plan it for up to 8 & 4, with the option to go with less. I don't see it as a particularly taxing mission, but rather a useful tooth-cutting arena for new members. Hours of searching for obscure targets can be off-putting in the early days, when everyone sees something and you don't see anything. I remember those trips like they were yesterday - in fact it was yesterday!

I've been exploring to the north of the NTTR for a suitable battlefield, and it goes on and on, with several abandoned airstrips, lots of those round green circles, and lots and lots and lots of desert. In fact, I was tempted to try a roller on one strip, but it was very overgrown with grass and I still hadn't finished exploring. If you feel brave, it's labelled Abandoned AEC Camp, and is at N38 24, W116 17. But, be warned, it is a long walk home.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Danny

Post by Danny »

This sounds really interesting Alan, looking forward to this. I think we could do with a AWACS though, I have difficulty finding targets even when Keith has talked me onto their 6 at a mile out :oops:

Return to “Mission Planning”