Wake Turbulence in Missions - On or Off?

The 'Why, Where and How To' about mission planning in DCS
Flyco
Site Admin

Wake Turbulence in Missions - On or Off?

Post by Flyco »

I noticed that on last night's mission, wake turbulence was enabled. I just wanted to check whether members, in general like or dislike this option?

I confess, that I don't. I can cope, with some difficulty, but I do not find it particularly representative of what I recall wake turbulence to feel like. However, I have never done any air-to-air refuelling, so am not well placed to judge.

It will inhibit some players in missions, where the need to AAR will sometimes be essential. Last night it took me about twice as long as usual to hook up. I usually try to fly at least one training AAR sortie a week (I have a series of continuity training sorties I use), and I have recently disabled turbulence because it bugs me. I have not noticed it with the A-10 but there you are on the tankers centre-line.

What are the views - On or Off?
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Wake Turbulence in Missions - On or Off?

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Can't comment on last night for obvious reasons but my gut feeling is not to use it.

Reasoning is that unless we always use it for every mission on the server and pilots also use it offline when practicing they will not get used to the effects. This is after all only a game, very detailed admittedly, but it is meant to be fun and it is difficult enough without throwing too many spanners in the mix
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

cant speak for anything else but it doesnt seem to effect the tomcat much at all in my experience, if i hit it then i know im in the wrong place to start with. unless im doing it completely wrong which is very possible lol
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

ive just read a post claiming wake turbulance causes a serious fps drop when its on, i know i get terrible fps compared to single player and was wondering if we could turn it off and compare fps, i need all the freames i can get lol
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

I suggest we leave it off unless we are flying missions specifically to test our abilities behind the tanker. Anything else, it'd be a waste of system resources?
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

ive just read a post claiming wake turbulance causes a serious fps drop when its on, i know i get terrible fps compared to single player and was wondering if we could turn it off and compare fps, i need all the fremes i can get
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

abraxsus

Post by abraxsus »

Switch it off!!
Squadron Leader Yogi "Wildcard" Parashara

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I think it is on. I got behind the number 2 on take-off a couple of sorties ago, and got pushed onto the runway after retracting my gear a little too early and casually - “I learned about flying from that”.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

John D'Arcy

Post by John D'Arcy »

I to thought it was on as on the two tue night missions i have flown i've had uncommanded rolls left and right during the low level portion of the mission while getting close to the aircraft ahead.
Geoff also lost control while landing last tue while close behind a landing aircraft.
0367 John

fly_george

Post by fly_george »

maybe its just me but i enjoy the added difficulty, at the end of the day when i die i normally have the most fun leading upto that bit.
'paddles contact'

Return to “Mission Planning”