Mission Standardization

The 'Why, Where and How To' about mission planning in DCS
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Re: Mission Standardization

Post by Neil Willis »

We now have 2 working versions of SRS radio on the server.

The extra one is the same up address, but change 5002 to 5003

The original is for RAF Air Main Server 1, and the new one for RAF Air Main Server 2.

It is simple to add the second server to your drop down list, and I recommend you rename them so you know which applies to which server. Then to log in, simply start SRS, select the correct one from the drop down menu, and click connect in the normal manner.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Excellent cheers Neil.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

Great post.
Thank you to all.

I will also work arround something, now with this info in my desk.

A comment from all the info above. MIST is a great script that permit do great things, I use it a lot (with CTLD ans SSL) to respawn units, etc...
But the problem is, as any other thing from 3th parties in DCS, is not stable, and a simple DCS update can break everyting, like one of the last updates did (now fixed). Same is true for MODS and MOOSE.

So, I will use only DCS tools in ME. But that is me.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Mist and CTLD are stable OK... been using them extensively for years however often it is within the DCS main scripting engine that issues occur and as MIST interfaces directly with that then as DCS evolves and breaks something internally the problems are passed up the chain so to speak. And DCS itself has plenty of bugs appearing on most updates :shock: :D

Sure some use it, some don't, some use MODs some don't but probably most here just use the basic ME which unsurprisingly currently is full of silly bugs - its all part of the great DCS interactive spectrum.

However, a template if ever adopted, is just a common pre-configured starting point. MIST requires no config, CTLD has lots. You can leave it in too no worries, if it is not 'called' it will cause no problems but don't want anywhere near you, hit the delete key twice and delete 2 lines....

Same with the tankers and carriers... speeds, altitudes, freqs, advanced functions can all be configured correctly for everyone. Take tankers, carriers etc for example, delete what you do not want, move 3 WPs to those you want..... done.

Same with aircraft... Most have between 20 to 60 preset freqs for the radios.... have some commonality, same box and stud numbers for tankers, carriers, awac, commonly used airfields etc.. Texaco would be Box2 Stud3 for most AC etc.. that sort of stuff... What you use in a F18 would be the same in F14, Harrier etc....

As for skins well without a common skin pack this sorta visually defeats integrated squadron missions with many AC defaulting to US stuff - and a common MOD pack would allow 476th range objects and Joeys HMS Hermes for example in any mission. MODs need to be on the server too... All this 'stuff' is optional, its in the template, all configured and ready to go but if not used there are no issues...

But to be of any real value, templates would ideally need to be adopted by most as it seems there is lots of diversity within RAFAIR servers with many missions being on stand alone PCs and with the limited responses in this thread perhaps best let sleeping dogs lie...

However if all the squadrons supported something like this at least in concept it would not take too long for me to put something together.
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

iam so confussd reading this , oh well situation normal for me at this time lol

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

i deffinately want everybody to have all skins (or at least the server so it works on mission nights) afaik its never been organised though
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Then organize it Scooby. But make it so that everyone can understand and use it.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Flyco wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 13:44 Then organize it Scooby. But make it so that everyone can understand and use it.
thats beyond me im afraid, thats why i havnt pushed it either
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Chris

Post by Chris »

So sorry if its double dutch to you Mutley.

Summarised another way...

(1) a standard RAFAIR UK miz template by having cut and paste examples and overall configuration will allow basic and advanced ME folk to quickly write any mission, simple or complex that ensures:
  • All tankers are correctly configured as to freq's, tacans. height, Airspeed, callsign, orbit etc
  • All carriers are correctly configured as to freq's, tacans. callsign (marshall, Paddles etc).ICLS etc
  • Any scripts such as CTLD (if used) are correctly configured - think ground JTAC ground laser, smoke, target priority, predator laser etc
  • All aircraft with configurable radio channels are standardised i.e. BOX2. STUD 3 = Texaco on all aircraft type.... use for tankers, ships, command, most used bases etc etc
(2) A RAFAIR Asset Pack will allow any member to engage in any mission that uses:
MODS - think 476th range targets, Nevada Ranges, HMS Hermes, Harrier FOBs etc...
Skins, a Pack facilitating all squadrons will ensure graphics are as intended - not a mismatch of US and UK etc by all in any mission. Note - I would not envisage personally named skins here (too much size overhead)... that can easily be done on a local level... but certainly 3 seasonal skins per squadron - say winter, European camo (or navy grey as appropriate) & desert

Its not a big deal though but if wanted it would need a collective green light from squadron heads. Certainly I can do it if wanted.

Whether Miz writers use MODs, Skins, CTLD etc is up to them but if they do, all can engage.
Kind Regards
Chris :)

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

I search but didn't find if there is in forum some information about how many "more or less" active pilots each Squad has.
If there is, can someone please answer with a link for the post?
Also would like to know.
Are there abitual callsigns for different types of aircraft, for example for the 97Th we have Hawg, Boar, Pig and Tusk?
If so, I would like to know which and for which aircraft.

Thanks.

Return to “Mission Planning”