Weather help needed

The 'Why, Where and How To' about mission planning in DCS
0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Weather help needed

Post by 0405 Andrew »

I am a novice mission builder and winging it slightly.

During the brief I quickly skirt over the weather and luckily I'm not quizzed on it too much. So help is needed to improve.

This was the weather in the mission last night. How would you verbally describe that, it confuses the hell out of me. Some of you I know did this for a living, so please tell me what I should say.

Is this a:
"Easterly wind of 5kts at ground level"
"North easterly of 10 Kts at 1600 FT" etc

Also if we're flying in the mountains are these AGL or ASL?
Weather.jpg
Weather.jpg (33.62 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Father Cool

Re: Weather help needed

Post by Father Cool »

I believe all altitudes in the ME are ASL. I doubt the wind cares about the ground topography unless in dynamic mode.

I would brief them as say 'A 5kts easterly wind at sea level' for higher altitudes you can state 'An 8kts North Easterly wind at 6600ft ASL' . I guess it depends how in depth you want the wind forecast to be.

I suppose stating all three levels covers the ground stuff, low level flying and CAP. However I guess the lower level stuff is more important for TO/landings and bombing runs.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

DCS is a bit random in its wind levels - I suspect they are converted from metric.

Normally Met would typically quote winds at say: ground level (for t/o and ldg), 2000 ft, 5000 ft and 20,000 ft ( and higher for some ac). In general, wind will increase and back (i.e. move anti-clockwise) with height. DCS gives the direction the wind is going in - it should be the direction it is coming from.

You should also quote: temperature, and visibility, weather (snow, whirlwinds, gusts etc) and typical cloud cover at selected heights (e.g cloud base 1200 ft (implying at least half cover at 1200 ft), 2/8ths at 3000 ft, 6/8ths at 7,000 ft, etc.

Pressure should be quoted in inches of Mercury, or millibars. In theory met gives QNN (I think), but it is better to give QNH for aircrew (and possibly QFE)
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Many thanks both of you.

So if the arrow is pointing west say east?

This is all to improve Paul's bomb delivery , nothing more and nothing less.
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Yep, if the DCS arrow points East it is a Westerly. That may be changing soon with the new weather engine which will be arriving with the next update which will take us to v2.7.

I understand it won’t be possible to dial in winds etc initially, but we’ll just get a general weather condition selection.

Later in the year the full weather engine will change that however. Short term, think pretty clouds, and general conditions.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Chris

Post by Chris »

In the west we traditionally describe the wind where it IS COMING FROM. The direction you are facing with the wind in your face names the wind.

HOWEVER, DCS weather controls in the ME and the text in the BRIEFING page describes where the wind IS BLOWING TO

That is the confusion. In FLIGHT briefings you should give the wind direction where it is coming from.

In your example in the ME it is shown as 274 degrees with arrow pointing left. BUT that is where it is going, it is COMING FROM 274-180 = 094 degrees, Easterlies.

Sometimes, in briefings, I'll include a snapshot of the ME control to avoid confusion..... OR WITH SOME TO CREAT IT lol

Hope this helps some.
Kind Regards
Chris :)

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Thanks all, there will now be a detailed weather brief on each mission.
And please do not hesitate to let me know if you think it can be improved.
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Return to “Mission Planning”