Novice and old hands mission building support group (you're going to need it)

The 'Why, Where and How To' about mission planning in DCS

Father Cool

Re: Novice and old hands mission building support group (you're going to need it)

Post by Father Cool »

I have Syria and I would like more missions on the map as it is the best map by far.

I started my own campaign for the Caucasus based on the Russo Georgian war of 2008 a few months ago but haven't had time to get on with it at all tbh. I have used some moose script in it though for signifying territories which works well, that way we have proper borders that trigger enemy action.

I will finish it one day!
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Wee Neal 0414

Re: Novice and old hands mission building support group (you're going to need it)

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

I’m in. Really enjoy mission building! (SSShhh, almost as much as flying!!) :D
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

A plan is underway for Tuesday mission standardisation, which I'm hoping to get approval on shortly.

Bear with me and those interested, which I hope you all will be, will be given details.

First off, please make sure that you are using the mission templates linked above. They can look a little daunting at first if you are not familiar with them, this is the place to ask for now and I will endeavour to help.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Black-Witch

Post by Black-Witch »

Im here to book into the asylum 😳

As I’m very new to this I just wanted to make sure I’m not reinventing a wheel that someone else has already made, so, has anyone made a “storyline board”, I’m making one to “fix” all the events to a timeline, to make sure things happen when they should.

Thanks in advance 😁
The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception.

Manfred Freiherr Von Richthofen.

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi

Not done a story board. I have been teaching myself MOOSE and have started a mission template i.e. lots of different scripts for different functions to include:

A. Random respawns, creating a respawning range for FW and RW. The area is limited at the moment as it is scaled for RW. It is very scalable.
B. Random spawn of Recce units for practicing ‘finding the enemy’.
C. Spawning of Friendly and En in contact forces via F10 activation (from DCS Forum)
D. Random spawning and routes for advancing enemy with Bluefor aerial recce calling sightings for CAS.

The intention is to have these transferable to any map, but these are set on Cyprus at the moment.

Any help on setting up this template and enhancing it would be gratefully received?

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

I just have an idea in my head rather than a story. I try to keep the missions simple for Tuesday night with simple objectives.

I suppose the only story I have goes something like this:

--If destruction of local enemy air defences is not complete---Ground attack gets shot down--
--If bridge is not destroyed--Enemy get over the bridge--
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

I personally like to have a story in place as without it I really find it hard to be invested. Others mileage may vary.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Wee Neal 0414 wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 21:41 Hi

Not done a story board. I have been teaching myself MOOSE and have started a mission template i.e. lots of different scripts for different functions to include:

A. Random respawns, creating a respawning range for FW and RW. The area is limited at the moment as it is scaled for RW. It is very scalable.
B. Random spawn of Recce units for practicing ‘finding the enemy’.
C. Spawning of Friendly and En in contact forces via F10 activation (from DCS Forum)
D. Random spawning and routes for advancing enemy with Bluefor aerial recce calling sightings for CAS.

The intention is to have these transferable to any map, but these are set on Cyprus at the moment.

Any help on setting up this template and enhancing it would be gratefully received?

Neal
I'll be interested to see this. I have played with Moose a bit for GCI, Cap and SAM deployment, the recent Gauntlet mission I ran had Moose controlled Redair GCI and Cap aircraft, works very well. I haven't really looked at Recce and friendly AI as I wasn't really sure whether those things would be welcomed with open arms on mission nights. I personally think simulating the ground battle is where we need to go as with current missions it's generally, there are some Red ground forced sat there waiting to be bombed go in and kill them. It would be cool if the A10's for instance were on station orbiting a ground fight and then get called in to support troops with the gun and then later have a JTAC state that a target has been opened up for them to then go in and take it out. Same with other air squadrons as well.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Father Cool wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 12:33 I personally like to have a story in place as without it I really find it hard to be invested. Others mileage may vary.
I enjoyed writing this one every morning. viewtopic.php?f=68&t=4893
A few enjoyed it, others said I'd be better spending my time building a better mission! and others were completely indifferent. As long as the mission writer is happy that not everyone reads it, I'd say crack on.
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Return to “Mission Planning”