Novice and old hands mission building support group (you're going to need it)

The 'Why, Where and How To' about mission planning in DCS
0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Novice and old hands mission building support group (you're going to need it)

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Prior to writing the Dumbass series (as some like to call it) I had a small amount of knowledge with mission building for 60 Squadron, I would like to help some others step up and write some missions for RAF Air, honestly it's not too hard.

Please join up here, there's a wealth of knowledge within RAF Air to tap in to.

I'll just set out how I do it, we're all completely different and there is no set way.

Scenario:
This is hard one but maybe easy too. Maybe it's something you have read that can spark an idea, for my first mission I had read about the SonTAy raid and thought that would be cool to have some sort of mission based around that. Being a Huey chap it worked well and then was a case of shoe horning other Squadrons around it.

Pick a location:
Just load up an empty mission, fly around using the F11 camera looking for something that fits the bill. Use real world places, look for news stories, the 2nd mission featured the town where 1F Harriers had to recon, that's where the Georgians met the Russians for the one and only battle of the 2008 Georgia war. The Roki tunnel also featured heavily and then do a what if.......

Place the objective and the enemy:
1st mission pick up diplomats, the mission ran from there, added ground units once I'd seen the valleys and read up on Abskansia and how they were defended. Think what aircraft does what, there's a thread here discussing which Squadron does what. Tailor the targets to that.

Red Air:
This is a difficult one, guessing how many to put in, I'm sure there are ways of spawning in various amounts depending on how many Blue take off, but I'd suggest get numbers. Route carefully and set spawn times so Blue are not overwhelmed. I run the mission many times in tacview, I run the mission with no one in, speed it to x12, then run the recording in tacview. I can then see how many red air are upnat any one time and adjust the placing and timing to suit.

If you've read this far, I think you're a candidate for this group. I have found mission writing very rewarding and seeing so many on each Tuesday evening makes me happy. But mission writing is time consuming and I've had little time for anything else, so be careful.

Join me here!
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Novice and old hands mission building support group (you're going to need it)

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Blimey, it's lonely on this thread.......

Andrew, I like your methodology, slightly different to others but if it works for you that's great.
I've got an idea for a couple of missions in Syria, what do you think? Can everyone run Syria?

Regards
Andy
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Novice and old hands mission building support group (you're going to need it)

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Hi Andy, thanks for joining the thread, not sure about Syria best to ask around.
:lol:
It's good to get another mission builder on board, well done.
:roll:
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Obviously, I am only joking and am not completely mad yet, but it is only a matter of time.
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Hi Andrew just thought i would let you know here i am interested an will get sometime soon to hook up with you so you can teach me this i have ideas good and evil :D
Pilot Officer Jeremy "Weasel" Lambert - RAF AIR UK

Image Image Image

Plexi

Post by Plexi »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep sure can be lonely some times! But I have met many like minded individuals at the Asylum now and I am beginning to feel quite at home there, Isn't that right Plexi, Yes that's right Plex.
Squadron Leader
Peter "Plexi" Sumner
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Quote: 'A superior Pilot may be defined as one who stays out of trouble by using his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the use of his superior skill'

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Welcome,
Honestly I can say it's very rewarding and only slightly time consuming....
I'd be very happy to organise a mission group, set up a diary, help, and write my own missions.
3or 4 of us could really keep Tuesdays alive.
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

BenUK

Post by BenUK »

mission.jpg
mission.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 2389 times
Yes I am in

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Wonderful,
Depending on how we're all doing with our builds I propose we first run our designs through each other answer questions etc. To begin with.
I always run my mission builds through tacview and I suggest we look at each others the same way to begin with.
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

This is a link to the mission building templates

viewforum.php?f=351

All aircraft have comms added. Tankers and AWACS are set up and just need moving around, maybe set to immortal and invisible.

If you're newish to mission building, this may help, below are links to of one of the last dumbass missions, Trojan Lori (that was too heavy with units) and an empty tacview of the same mission. If you have 2 monitors, have the mission editor set up with dumas open, and tacview on the other. You can then just scroll through the tacview, see if red air is where it should be at the right time. If it's not click on the unit, get the name in tacview and edit unit in the game. This mission worked for some and was enjoyable, however as there were too many units, it spoiled it for some. It's a continual battle between getting too creative and grinding FPS to a halt and being too empty. On this one I partly muffed up.

And use hidden on the map in the unit list menu.
flight planning.jpg
flight planning.jpg (471.43 KiB) Viewed 2381 times

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ks8ms4vr8pqyd ... .acmi?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjsl87813oud1lj/Lori.miz?dl=0
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Return to “Mission Planning”