CURRENT (SEPT 21) RAFAIR MULTI SQN MISSION - CONTENT & PLANNING

The 'Why, Where and How To' about mission planning in DCS
Chris

CURRENT (SEPT 21) RAFAIR MULTI SQN MISSION - CONTENT & PLANNING

Post by Chris »

The last three multi squadron missions have run 'Faux-Fulda'

All have seen seen issues with missing RED objects and random AC failure.

I have looked at 'Faux-Fulda' in the ME and can see no obvious issues. It is a simple mission with a few push starts on triggers. Only one MOD was written in, De ZImms using tents and containers.

Although not involved in RAFAir Multi SQN mission design by choice I have a lot of experience over many years in muliplayer missions, design, scripts and extensive use of MODs. For what RAFAir is trying to achieve with 20-30 players and multiple flight plans is very demanding on DCS and takes an awful lot of sever handshaking with all the clients in an attempt to give the illusion of community flying. There will always be bugs and each update of DCS may allow bugs to appears in strange and obscure ways.

The current process of copying and pasting flights I suggested many moons ago and for the most part, due to Andrews enthusiasm and diligence , it works. BUT the more pastes are done, with repeats, amendments and amendments on amendments etc the more scope there is for user or ME error.

3rd Party MODs can effect game play in strange ways. I have spent 100's of hours troubleshooting MODs in the past and with strange results i.e. at one stage just having ONE range object in a MP miz on a dedicated server caused f18C to only auto start one engine not 2 and Mi8 rotor blades to mast bump and break off on idle after start up. Several updates later it was gone.

There is no issues with MIST scripting if chosen to be used. What you write / use either works or it does not, testing quickly throws up errors.

To cut a long (er) story short consider:-

• No MODs at all in RAFAir Multi SQN missions. (YOU do not have to remove them from your saved games folder, they are fine there, if not in the mission miz they will not be activated)
  • Designers, be creative with statics, consider FARP Tents, Containers, Armed fortified buildings logistics are all available - add more umph to the damage model put a petrol tanker inside or bedside the tent / building etc...
  • If SQUADRON flights submitted for copy and paste do not contain precise target points then just submit 1 AC per load out and let the designer know and he can add the flight numbers... if the WPs are 50 yards apart due to the way the ME does this it is of no consequence.
  • For those flights with precise WP/TGTs then let the designer know the TGT WPs to ensure the height is correct after pasting. Likewise the designer should paste the flights to the same parking slot or use airstart transfers.
  • Keep SQN submissions simple and if possible not get hung up on callsigns or the speed of moving targets etc... The designer can push vehicles on a simple trigger when close so an area to patrol, so all should be fine.
  • No pause of the mission whilst waiting for 30 odd people to ALL join at the same time.... this just overloads things at a crucial time... simply arrange for the mission to start at say 1930 UK Time with no take offs until a certain time, say 8pm UK. This will require all moving threats to be pushed or activated though.
  • Have a TOT for all Flights. Let the SQNs work out the actual TO time and speeds and TOT. Multiple SQNS at one airfield let the SQN COs sort TO order to suit all

Just my 2 cents... some of this may help..

Oh yes on a personal note, no Manpads? Lets have them to make tactics a bit more real in enemy held areas, and IADS, bring it on :)
Kind Regards
Chris :)

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: CURRENT (SEPT 21) RAFAIR MULTI SQN MISSION - CONTENT & PLANNING

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Thanks Chris for your input, and thanks for taking the time to check the mission, it's much appreciated.

All ground units Red and Blue disappeared.

Agree from now on no more mods, just in case.

Starting the Server 30 mins before T/O may be tricky to implement, maybe 10 min gap may work, pushing / activating is adding an additional layer that may break something it may be easier to just start them down the road a little earlier. Keeping these missions simple is the key.

I have been using the RAF Air mission Template, I will now bin that and start a fresh mission with the current DCS build. This will require squadrons to check their own radio set ups which they probably do anyway.

Target points, parking is already sorted. New contributors to the Tuesday slot will be given a lesson on these and what to watch for. We have potentially 2 new mission writers and they are being given any help they need. What we are trying to create is a standard process that writers and squadrons understand, that can be replicated without reinventing the wheel each time.

The Frag will continue, T/O and TOT's are as specified in the FRAG, squadron CO's will plan to the Frag and not sort the order to suit all. Any problems or changes should be handled through the mission writer. However making changes does have unintended consequences. In future unless there is something seriously wrong with the Frag and Intel Map Squadrons will need to plan around it and it can be changed for the following mission.

I would just like to say thankyou to everyone that gets involved with these missions, whether you're just flying them, sending in waypoints and helping to plan, creating briefs and writing after action reports. I believe all of it adds to the enjoyment we get form this group. It's a bit unfortunate that we have had a couple of duds but hopefully going forward this can be ironed out. I would also like to thankyou for the support and appreciation. If anyone is put off writing a mission because they are worried it won't be good enough, I'd say don't worry, RAF Air are generally a good bunch and I've yet to receive hate mail and have only received messages of good will.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Chris,
Interesting read, and I agree with most of your comments.
Keep man-pads by all means. The safest tactic is to stay above 11000ft, and that's what I'll be doing.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Chris

Post by Chris »

:D 100' works well too, Geoff ha ha.... :D ... for the most part
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Return to “Mission Planning”