VAC Installation and configuration

Neil Willis
Site Admin

VAC Installation and configuration

Post by Neil Willis »

As I said earlier, I have been working on a VAC based radio comms package that I hope will enhance your flying experience in DCS World. It will allow you to simply say the name of the airfield you wish to contact, and VAC will select all the correct menu items for you. So for example, to notify Batumi Tower that you are currently approaching, and require clearance into the pattern, you would currently press your comms button, then when the comms menu appears, you'd press F5, then if Batumi was the closest airfield F1, followed by F1 again. With the VAC system you would instead just press the comms button, then say:

"Batumi Tower, Inbound, Hog One One"

This will be heard by the VAC system, and it would then do all the button pressing from that point on, and you'll see the relevant message sent to the Tower on your screen, and you'll get the usual response from the Tower.

I have incorporated just 3 callsigns for use with the system, which are Hog One One, Enfield One One, and Tiger One. The first two should suffice for all aircraft types in solo player mode as long as you make sure you set the callsign for the aircraft you wish to fly to one of those options.

I included Tiger One for multiplayer ops, however you will get a spurious callsign back when ATC respond instead of the correct one. I am still looking at ways of getting Tiger One into the callsign list, but that would be a future update.

At present, the profile is still being worked on, but it includes calls for all situations including JTAC, AWACS, Tankers, and ground crew operations. It is however still a work in progress, and although it works for the majority of aircraft, there are still a few to be added, and the profile will be updated as they are incorporated.

It has one or two limitations, so for some calls you will need to be aware of those. For now though, so you can take a look, and get it installed, here is a step by step guide:

1. Basic requirements

You will need to have a good quality working microphone, preferably with earphones providing all your DCS World sound.

You will need to train your PC to understand your voice using the built in voice recognition software. I recommend you watch the Gerry Abbott video in which he describes how to set up VAC, though you don't need to set up a profile to use it as I provide that for you.

Here is a link to the video, and the first section is the relevant part. Ignore all the references to VAC Builder, that has been done for you by myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B47ZS1S-h_I

Once you have the computer trained to your voice - I recommend at least 2 or 3 sessions, but the more the better. Once the computer is trained you will no longer need to run the Windows voice recognition software. It is simply used to set up a voice profile for VAC to access.

2. Install and run VAC

The VAC software can be used for 14 days free of charge, but if you wish to use this system, you will need to buy a licence, which costs $18.00. The software download is here, and the same site can be used to buy a copy should you choose to continue with voice activated radio comms:

http://www.dwvac.com/index.html

3. Install a mod to make the radio menu behave as required for the VAC profile. Use JSGME to install this mod, so you can enable and disable the mod if required:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1270182/

4. Download and install the VAC profile I have created. As I said, this is a work in progress, and although the vast majority of things are present, I am still making a few changes, and additions. The profile will be available soon in the downloads section. You will just need to copy the profile to the profiles folder of your VAC installation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pu0xvyklt8ici ... =252556569

That's it.

A manual with all the relevant messages is available here:
Attachments
Voice Activated Communication V1.0.pdf
(382.28 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Voice Activated Commands Support”