Univers Radio

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Re: Univers Radio

Post by Neil Willis »

Agreed Alan, the Univers system has it's shortcomings, but the huge advantage is that it is stable, and even if you restart Teamspeak in mid-flight, Univers continues to function afterwards.

It is simple, definitely a big advantage. It also behaves in the way real radio comms do - you just have ears and radio panels. It helps to state which channel you are using when making initial contact, but I suspect after a while it will become second nature. It is confusing on start up, but once in flight, you'll generally just use one radio during each phase of operations unless you have command responsibilities.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Can anyone help Jack try and sort out his problems with Univers radio? I spent an hour with him last night trying all the obvious stuff, but there is clearly an issue as I can never see his Univers status in Teamspeak. Any help we can give him would be very much appreciated.

Neil
ImageImageImage

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

I can help, but I won't be free till next week.

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

I propose that Univers should be adopted as the standard now, it is much more stable than Aries and we all seem pretty happy with it. Any objections?

Could we follow this decision with a NOTAM if it is passed?

Danny

Post by Danny »

I not sure that everyone has it working.

Has anyone tested the external ATC radio?

Personally apart from stability I don't think it's as good as Aries

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Fair enough, and yes the external radio works fine. Haven't tried the ATC radio though.

Lets keep trialling it.

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Yes, it is still early days yet. I hope we can all iron out the wrinkles as I think it is definitely more stable than Aries, and although it isn't as easy to see which radio you are transmitting on, it appears to me to be the way forwards.

Before we adopt it, we'll need to make sure we have everyone on board, and everything working seamlessly.
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I am clearly doing something wrong, since I am still not receiving over UR, although I think I am transmitting. I have worked through my set-up today and adjusted a number of apparent anomalies.

What I could do with is an hour with a UR expert on a dedicated frequency to try and resolve matters, and clarify how it works. But, perhaps before that, I could do with a primer on the nuts and bolts of UR, again with someone who knows what they are talking about

Any volunteers?
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Still having UR problems. I can hear RT via speakers, but not via headset. But headset works for other purposes - talking on Teamspeak, talking to the DCS AI etc. If I turn all other inputs down (DCS sound effects, system sounds etc) I can just about hear other members transmitting.

I am leaning towards a full reload of my sound files, Teamspeak and UR. However, before I do that I would like to check the innards of my set-up with someone who has a working one. For example, UR talks about a file "Saved Games\UniversalRadio\UniversalRadio.ini". I have no such file in my saved games folder - does anyone else?

I would be grateful if someone could set aside an hour to compare set-ups with me. If there is someone who would be willing to, let me have details of when you would be available

Thanks
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Univers Radio Issues & Questions”