Flyco / Teddy Univers discussion 20160120

David Lindau

Flyco / Teddy Univers discussion 20160120

Post by David Lindau »

Flyco wrote:Teddy,
Thanks for the offer - I wish I could work out what the problem was. There are a number of problems with my Helios set-up, but that is a separate aspect.

It seems to be my reception, which is a problem - I can usually transmit OK, as anyone who has heard my repeated plaintiff calls can testify. It seems to centre around the volume control on the radios and seems mainly to affect the VHF AM and, to a lesser extent, VHF FM, although UHF is not immune. These controls seem to either work in reverse, or give maximum volume at some intermediate settings - it seems to settle down after a while, although it can go off again later in the sortie.

On DCS start up all radio volume controls seem to be reset to zero, and to hear the AI I need to adjust them up to at least 1/3. However, over UR (but not I think Teamspeak), they are very variable and change randomly as the sortie progresses.

I have taken to asking my flight-mate to recite a short poem after start up, while I adjust the control for best volume. But obviously this is inconvenient and runs the risk of my being branded as a 'wierdo'. What I would like is some tireless volunteer to sit on the pan with me for half an hour while I play with the settings and look at the volume mixer etc, to try and identify exactly what is going on.

The problem is not eased by the inability to adjust the separate DCS sound input channels in Multi-player (GUI, in-helmet etc).

If you have any suggestions I would be very grateful.

On a similar subject, I suspect that I am not the only one who is not totally certain how Teamspeak works (for example do we need to be in a designated UR channel to use UR). I would be happy to draft a beginners user manual for Teamspeak and UR, and perhaps I could run it past you for you to tell me where I do understand, and where I am wrong, so that I can amend it.
Teddy wrote:Alan,

Yes it sounds very specific to you. I will sit down with you when I can. Unfortunately I won't be available for a while, I have some holiday coming up and I won't reliably be online for the next 3-4 weeks. David may be able to help.

The volume knobs next to each individual radio when in the pit affect the volume for me and they do work backwards as well. This may be how it actually works in the real A-10 for all I know though, the Americans are funny. Fully anti-clockwise is the starting default and is full volume. Fully clockwise is the lowest volume. It is rare I have to adjust these dials unless there is very congested comms.

I have also got my DCS volume turned right down in my windows mixer as I find the volume too loud anyway.

With regards to TeamSpeak please feel free to set up a document, there may be one out there on the web already. And to your question, no, unless you are in the same channel you cannot talk to each other independent of whether you have Univers enabled or not. There are things called Whisper lists which can go out of channel but it will be confusing to explain them here.

The way to imagine Univers is as a blocker. It simply blocks someone receiving a message unless their codes (frequencies) match. If the codes match then it allows the message to be received.

David Lindau

Re: Flyco / Teddy Univers discussion 20160120

Post by David Lindau »

If I recall correctly, universe radio volume works opposite to in game radio volume.
Unsure if this is still the case, but a really load squelch could mean that you have put universe traffic to almost zero volume.

Return to “Univers Radio Issues & Questions”