Flying the Mig 21Bis - I think it is trying to kill me!

john (scooby)

Re: Flying the Mig 21Bis - I think it is trying to kill me!

Post by john (scooby) »

jester224 wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 09:27 I would imagine that the MiG-23 will turn really well. Imagine a light version of the F-14 with swing wings. Not sure about the power to weight ratio I will have to look that up. It is much smaller than the F-14 with a single engine.
Yeah its much smaller, i thought it hd high wing loading though but im not sure
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

fly_george

Post by fly_george »

the mig-23 was renown for being bad at everything as far i know
'paddles contact'

jester224

Post by jester224 »

fly_george wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 21:04 the mig-23 was renown for being bad at everything as far i know
The export model was very poor, the trouble was the Soviet Union used to export second grade versions of its equipment. This in turn led to nations looking to buy elsewhere if they could and the West over estimating and then underestimating their performance. I think the MiG-23 Flogger is a classic example of that. As the MiG-27 Flogger-D with the modified nose it went onto to be a strike aircraft very similar to the Jaguar. Being light and small with swing wing could make it a good turn and burn fighter. I know one of the design groups is working on it right now for DCS.

Also the Soviets produced other excellent strike aircraft in particular the SU-22 Fitter series and SU-24 Fencer. Oh and let us not forget the aircraft US Carrier Groups feared and expected to fight the TU-22M Backfire. As for fighters from the mid 80s you get the arrival of the MiG-29 Fulcrum and the SU-27 Flanker. From those fighters we get the Su-33 Flanker-D and Su-34 Fullback and so on.
SAC Simon "Jester" Campbell-Smith
Data Analyst

Return to “MIG-21BIS - Leatherneck Simulations”