Flying the Mig 21Bis - I think it is trying to kill me!

jester224

Flying the Mig 21Bis - I think it is trying to kill me!

Post by jester224 »

The MiG-21BIS (NATO Code Fishbed) is iconic, over 10,000 Soviet/Russian built units alone. So recently I purchased this aircraft as a little flying challenge to myself. Firstly, the start up is quick and easy, something for a interceptor is a good thing. Forget waiting for the INAS to align as it doesn't have one. I have yet to puzzle out the Russian radio navigation aids so that is another post. But you can get the Fishbed up and running in about a minute. Taxing is easy enough once you figure out the arcane steering with the wheel brake lever and rudder pedals. This is the same as the L-39 and possibly reflects the need to train this feature.

Take off as the title implies is the first attempt this plane has on taking you out. Give the usual beans with plenty of afterburner, but be careful as it accelerates very quickly and there is a fine line between rotate and blowing the tyres! Next you pass this initial test but wait now you raise the gear, eh no you can't which idiot put the little catch to stop the leaver going up! Now I have worked that out the nose dropped. Time to kill you! If you pull to hard on the stick you can enter a stall regardless of your speed. If the AoA reaches above a certain point you are in deep do do. The aircraft will sink smartly into the floor. Yanking and banking is just as bad you can find yourself in a spiral dive type eeeeek situation! So balance in the turn with all three sets of controls. This aircraft challenges you to fly well with no real aids to help. This is no F-18.

So what about combat? Well the first thing is finding the enemy. The radar is well yes and no screens you are reliant on either F-10 key or being with 30 miles from the target and level or below. So you can see that some form of GCI/AWACs is vital. Now the missiles are effective and I found it easy enough to fire and hit if I had visual contact and had a lock. Now one thing to note at this point there is one amazing feature of the MiG-21 over the F-18. It has an effective working rear view mirror! You can see someone coming up behind. Not even the new F-35 has that. I have yet to drop bombs and that to can wait for another post.

Overall the MiG-21 is fun and a challenge. Worth some cash in the next set of sales.
SAC Simon "Jester" Campbell-Smith
Data Analyst

john (scooby)

Re: Flying the Mig 21Bis - I think it is trying to kill me!

Post by john (scooby) »

Wants to kill you?
No pilot or nav aids?
Will kill you happily if you yank and bank?
Sounds like my kind of airplane and possibly the closest wel ever get to having an ee lightning in game
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

jester224

Post by jester224 »

It is similar to the Lightening in age and technology. One major difference it does not have the insane amount of thrust that the Lightening had. It is fun to fly and no messing.
Data Analyst

fly_george

Post by fly_george »

i desperately want to make a iranian mig 21 mission, but all the arc and rsbn barely works on Persian gulf at present. i do love that suicidal jet powered dart tho
'paddles contact'

jester224

Post by jester224 »

Does the GPS NS430 module work with the MiG-21? That would improve its non-Russian navigation a lot. Although reading recently those perfidious, sneaky Russians have a habit of jamming the signal.
Data Analyst

jester224

Post by jester224 »

fly_george wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 13:31 i desperately want to make a iranian mig 21 mission, but all the arc and rsbn barely works on Persian gulf at present. i do love that suicidal jet powered dart tho
I would have a look and see what the current situation is for this NAVAIDS and the Persian Gulf. If you are using them for ai they will still follow way points. You just don't have that facility in the real plane for yourself. OMG map reading and a compass, manly flying, that in poor weather and some ADF what is the issue? Who needs HSI/SA?
Data Analyst

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

The blown flaps have a startling effect on landing too. Close the throttle at your peril before the main wheels are on terra firma!

There is definitely a need for GCA to be effective, and the fuel-hungry engine means all flights are very short. It was of course just an interceptor, and it was designed purely for that role.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

jester224

Post by jester224 »

The Bis model does come with a selection of bombs and rockets. And it is an effective light strike aircraft and you can plant bombs right where you want them in a 45 degree dive. When it is compared to the Hornet, Viper and Tomcat it is at a real disadvantage operating as an air superiority fighter. AIM-120B/C and AIM-54 mean that combined with an appalling radar mean that it is difficult to get close enough to have a fight. It has no chaff launcher either so you really have to work to dodge a radar guided missile or break a lock on. The RWR is primitive and you have to guess where any lock is coming from!

When operating as a light strike unit its speed and simplicity make it fun and you can nurse the fuel if you don't use the afterburner to excesses. Set up right you can cruiser along at 700 Km/h then put the burner on and hit the target and get out. Although at Kutaisi on the default map you have to watch out as those Rapier are nasty and I have been shot down twice and damaged once to limp home. The lack of chaff is an issue there as it can't jam the DN181 Blindfire radar.

Against a Phantom or other period aircraft like Lightening or B-52 it can hold its own. Roll on the MiG-23 now that will make for an interesting fight indeed.
Data Analyst

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

jester224 wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 12:26 The Bis model does come with a selection of bombs and rockets. And it is an effective light strike aircraft and you can plant bombs right where you want them in a 45 degree dive. When it is compared to the Hornet, Viper and Tomcat it is at a real disadvantage operating as an air superiority fighter. AIM-120B/C and AIM-54 mean that combined with an appalling radar mean that it is difficult to get close enough to have a fight. It has no chaff launcher either so you really have to work to dodge a radar guided missile or break a lock on. The RWR is primitive and you have to guess where any lock is coming from!

When operating as a light strike unit its speed and simplicity make it fun and you can nurse the fuel if you don't use the afterburner to excesses. Set up right you can cruiser along at 700 Km/h then put the burner on and hit the target and get out. Although at Kutaisi on the default map you have to watch out as those Rapier are nasty and I have been shot down twice and damaged once to limp home. The lack of chaff is an issue there as it can't jam the DN181 Blindfire radar.

Against a Phantom or other period aircraft like Lightening or B-52 it can hold its own. Roll on the MiG-23 now that will make for an interesting fight indeed.
can the mig23/27 turn fight? whats the p/w ratio?
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

jester224

Post by jester224 »

I would imagine that the MiG-23 will turn really well. Imagine a light version of the F-14 with swing wings. Not sure about the power to weight ratio I will have to look that up. It is much smaller than the F-14 with a single engine.
Data Analyst

Return to “MIG-21BIS - Leatherneck Simulations”