Landings - Slats

David Lindau

Landings - Slats

Post by David Lindau »

So I've taken to landing with slats deployed.
And now I'm trying to figure out if it's easier or if it's my 40'ish landings this weekend that's finally paying off. :?

I'm guessing my landing style is way to rooted in the A-10C, never the less I'm getting more of a flare, and less bent gear with slats deployed.
Smacking her on the deck with the AOA at 14° is definitely not working for me.

How are the rest of you guy's coming along?

Paul Gillon
Site Admin

Re: Landings - Slats

Post by Paul Gillon »

Well, you saw my results of using auto slats last night!

I did take your advice and tried it again with the slats deployed. It did seem to smooth out the approach and my landing was a bit more of a success. I'll keep with it to see the results.
Flight Lieutenant Tav -RAFAir UK

David Lindau

Post by David Lindau »

Auto slats, retract automatically when gear is deployed, or so the manual says.
Also says the slats can be lowered manually if your coming in with reduced power (engine damage).
Maybe my approaches are to high.

Danny

Post by Danny »

Auto slats, retract automatically when gear is deployed, or so the manual says.
That makes no sense at all.

I spent ages last week trying to perfect my landings with the same results, bent gear.

I tried both a shallower and steeper descent, greater and less AOA than 14 all with poor results.

When I looked on Tacview it became clear why the gear was getting damaged. With slats in and AOA of 14 my descent rate was 2000 fpm :shock:

Last night I tried again with manual down slats, not once did I damage the gear, no more manic braking was needed and I even managed to slow to taxying speed without using the brakes at all :D

David Lindau

Post by David Lindau »

David Lindau

Post by David Lindau »

I've been having a much easier time landing the Mirage in the later versions. (w/o slats extended, except that one dead-stick landing)

Dunno if things have changed or it's me using a more shallow approach.

Return to “M-2000C Mirage - RAZBAM”