SimpleRadio stand alone?

This is our current Comms system of choice.
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: SimpleRadio stand alone?

Post by Flyco »

Neil, I am just uploading the current Op Bactria to the Server. I will listen out on TeamSpeak until around 1700.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Neil,

Prior to the updated version I tried without success to connect to the server. Just would not connect no matter what I did.

Since the update yesterday and you updating the server etc I can now connect every time I fire it up. Not tested it with comms yet as not had chance but looking good so far.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Same here. It looks as though I am connecting OK - just need someone to talk to and check out the in-aircraft PTT buttons, and frequency changes.
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Well I just updated to V 1.2.8.0.

I connected to the server and it stayed connected(which it didn't in the previous version), so I nipped onto the server, fired up the radios, brought up the radio overlay to check that the switches I assigned on my HOTAS selected the correct radio which they did, and my PTT button functioned correctly, which it seemed to.

I just need to test the radio with someone else on the server to see if that side of it works.

Paul

P.S. Quick update, when I tried again I could not get the radio overlay to appear whilst I was in DCS, if I (ALT+TAB) I can see the overlay (amongst the programs I have running), and it seems to be functioning, but I just can't get it to appear on the screen when I'm in the cockpit view.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

The write-up is not very clear, but I got the impression that the overlay is only used for FC3 aircraft. For A-10C etc, you use the normal read out. However, some of the screen shots do appear to show the overlay in the A-10, unless it is the A-10A.

I was also unable to get the overlay on my A-10C screen.
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Ok guys.

Just fired it up and did so when connected to MP server so as to do a proper test for the overlay. Worked great. After connection I activated the overlay and minimised the main radio box.

Overlay visible all time and can move it around the screen. Only issue is that if I clicked on the overlay that was then the 'active window' and so lost all input control from DCS. After clicking off the overlay I had DCS control back but the overlay was still visible.

I am running DCS in Full Screen mode if that helps. Did not try in with DCS in windowed mode.

Alan, I know you run Helios. Wonder if that is causing an issue for the overlay.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Yes, it is all working properly now, although there is another update, and it recommends installing an update to .net before updating.

It has already been applied to the server, so please ensure you have v1.2.8.1 installed when you carry out testing.

I will be online this evening from around 8pm in case anyone wishes to assist in a pre-Tuesday test session. We will then be able to assess when and if we can start live trials.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Yes, I do use Helios and it does give me some problems tabbing between tasks. However, I have updated SRS and it seems to run OK now, with the radio overlay appearing and disappearing on cue.

Not sure if I can make 8:00pm this evening, but I will look in occasionally during the afternoon and early evening, to see if there is anyone around before then for a test.

I have re-updated Bactria on the server, and am gradually weeding out the snags. The main program seems to runs OK in general, but there may be still one or two of the individual tasks that hang up. However, after 2-3 mins of no activity, it is fairly straightforward to cancel a mission and fly a different one. With a total of 22 tasks to chose from, each involving up to 4 ac, there should be enough to go round. I estimate it will take 15-20 hrs in total hours to fly all of them!

Incidentally, having got reasonably familiar with the general layout of Bactria, it is very easy just to slot in additional tasks, lasting up to an hour or more each. So if anyone has any ideas for short missions, I can include them as additional or replacement tasks.
Image Image Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

After some testing tonight, we can quite safely say that we have a new, and hopefully - improved, radio sustem to use, that is both simple, clear, and effective.

One minor issue - VHF comms are not working for me, but I shall investigate that further, and even without that, we have 2 workable channels, and of course frequency separation is now functional again.

The latest version - 1.2.8.1 will be required, and you will need to connect to the server using the IP address given earlier in this thread. Once you connect, as long as the button says "disconnect" then you are ready to go. It works on all modules - FC3 requires the radio overlay to tune the radios, but all ASM modules can use either pre-set channels or manual radio tuning inside the cockpit.

Be sure to add 3 radio selection buttons, and a press to talk. Intercom is also available for multiplayer aircraft (Gazelle and L-39C/ZA).

Just ensure encryption is disabled in the settings.
ImageImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Having rolled it out on Mission night tonight, after a few minor set-up problems, it seems we have a new system for comms.

Thanks everyone for your patience while we worked through the issues.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Current Comms System --- Simple Radio Stand alone (SRS)”