F18 OCU Starts here!

Aircraft: F/A-18C OCU Graduate Pilots
Roon
Site Admin

F18 OCU Starts here!

Post by Roon »

Following several weeks of intensive work, I thought I'd outline the structure and purpose of the OCU as it stands today. The project has been a long time in the making and is almost ready to go operational once we have a few more planned sorties tested and ready for Conversion Pilots to use.

The organisational structure so far is:

OC Training Alan
OC 41Sqn (F18) Will
OC OCU Ade
OC A Flt OCU Paul G

We have the luxury of having two RAF Career pilots to call upon in Alan and Will, to help guide us in training requirements, techniques and setting standards. Having said that we must recognise that most of us have missed out several years of basic training that a pilot has to undergo before sitting in any kind of combat aircraft. Our aim is to carefully balance the Sim world with real world procedures to provide an enjoyable and informative experience whilst avoiding it becoming intimidating or exclusive to members in general. Having said that, once a member has completed the OCU, should they wish to go further I hope that eventually we will be able to have an extension to the OCU to produce QFI's, QWI's and other more advanced qualifications for any that wish to continue learning.

We will be publishing the OCU Syllabus shortly on the forum and pilots should download their own copy and use it to track their own progress. Many of the OCU sorties can be flown solo and each Phase usually culminates in a check flight with a member of the OCU Staff. Generally, Pilots should pass each Phase before moving on to the next. Pilots should progress at their own pace through the course and keep in mind their level of knowledge and experience. Extra help, over and above that given on the dual sorties will always be available from the kindly OCU staff!

RAFAIR SOPs for the F18, written by Alan, will be used throughout the Course and are already available to download on the Forum. As with all things there will be some changes along the way, especially when we discover new aspects for inclusion and superfluous sorties that should be removed from the Course. Student pilots’ responses will be particularly relevant and important in the development of the Course.

The OCU Staff pilots are currently constructing the Course syllabus, the lesson plans and the sortie plans and by flying each sortie are attempting to get themselves up to the necessary standard before they try to teach others!!Thank you all for your support and patience and we hope to see you at an OCU briefing soon.
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Officer Commanding F18 OCU
Wing Commander Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image

Return to “41(f) Squadron”