Once you have completed your basic flight training and passed any required check flights, you move on to the OCU where you will learn how to use the aircraft to fight.
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

I'd just like to point out one of the more demanding, and rewarding areas of flying to you guys.

The OCU is based as closely as possible on real RAF standards and tactics, thanks to the input of our ex-RAF pilots, among whom we have an ex-OCU instructor. The result is that we can offer some very realistic training, which can at times be a huge challenge - but also offers major rewards. You can complete the syllabus at your own pace, so there is absolutely no pressure to perform, and no one can fail or flunk out. If at first, you don't succeed, then you can practice the mission in your own time, and progress as and when you are ready.

The instructors are there to help you, and not to judge you. The aim is to impart knowledge, not to trip you up. Even old dogs like myself can learn new tricks, increase immersion, satisfaction, and gain huge rewards.

Give it a go, you will get the benefit of thousands of hours of real-world pilotage, and be able to apply it to your own flying.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Phantom

Re: Sign up to OCU - It is very rewarding

Post by Phantom »

Sorry to ask a dumb question here, interested in getting started with the F18 and have had a look around to see who is in charge of the F18 Squadron etc so I can get started on OCU etc.....Must be getting soft in my older age sorry :)

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Re: Sign up to OCU - It is very rewarding

Post by Neil Willis »

Just pm Ade (Roon) with your mobile number and he’ll add you to the WhatsApp group.

He’ll get you started.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “16(R) Squadron F-18 Operational Conversion Unit (OCU)”