A-10C Close Formation Position

Flyco
Site Admin

A-10C Close Formation Position

Post by Flyco »

Just thought I'd post a screen-shot of how I think the lead aircraft should appear when flying accurately in the number 2 slot.

I remember seeing it like this -- Once! -- Very Briefly!

I've never been close enough to get a shot from the No 3 position.
Attachments
Formation Reference Points.jpg
Formation Reference Points.jpg (899.81 KiB) Viewed 3295 times
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: A-10C Close Formation Position

Post by Flyco »

The first posting (above) in this thread shows the 'correct' close formation position. However, given the constraints of the DCS simulators, I am proposing to alter the 'Standard Echelon Position' to one a little further back and a little closer in.

I find it easier to fly and to monitor my panel and the straight ahead position, using this new position. It becomes even easier if I 'freeze' Track-IR, unfreezing it as necessary.

I have attached the picture of my proposed new position, and would be grateful for any comments that anyone has. I have also included a mission in the associated FTS training missions thread, so that you can try out this new position.
Attachments
Close No 2 - Detail.png
Close No 2 - Detail.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 2365 times
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: A-10C Close Formation Position

Post by Richard Rodgers »

That is a much easier, and prob more natural position to be in in the simulator. The reference points left of the HUD frame and quarter light seem good to me.

Once stable in this position, #2 could then, if required by lead, move right & forward slightly to be in a more traditional position somewhere between the 'correct' one and your revised one so that # 3 could also take up similar for his positioning on the other side
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “FTS Documents”