Harrier Training and Testing

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Harrier Training and Testing

Post by Neil Willis »

I think we can all see the real potential of flying the Harrier operationally now we have seen a few of it's features in the pre-release reviewers video footage.

It makes sense therefore to lay out a few markers regarding proficiency needed for it's first operational use.

First we need to be able to take off and land safely in all launch and recovery methods - Conventional take off, Short take off, Very short take off, and vertical take off - Conventional landing, short landing, rolling vertical landing and vertical landing.

Next we need to be able to navigate, fly tactically, and deploy all weapons systems.

Demonstrate mastery of air to air refuelling techniques (If we are to use VTOL operationally and expect to deploy an effective weapons load out).

If we can achieve those disciplines, we can quickly form a second RAF Air Squadron. We will however need to maintain the A-10C squadron as the core of our activities of course, but an element of Harriers in the air superiority and SEAD roles would be very useful, and expand on the depth of missions we currently fly - possibly with a 2 phase/2 role aspect for the Harrier guys to first carry out SEAD, then land and join the remaining force in A-10Cs perhaps?

The alternative would be to recruit enough extra fliers to have at least 2 flights of A-10Cs and one flight of AV-8B N/As. Clearly, the way forwards needs to be discussed, and all options explored.

We can however start on the training and testing of all pilots who want to fly Harriers operationally.

Then of course there is the F/A-18C and Tomcat!....
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Paul Gillon
Site Admin

Re: Harrier Training and Testing

Post by Paul Gillon »

Do we know what number we have pre-purchased or are interested in flying the Harrier? -

I'm suggesting that those who are should post a response here so that we can find out:-

To start - I have prepurchsed and I'm intending that the Harrier will be my prmary aircraft (or at least until I'm swayed by the F18).
Flight Lieutenant Tav -RAFAir UK

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I agree completely Neil, we should look to get a OCU in order for the Harrier, or maybe a in depth 'checkride' until we get a steady working of the aircraft and its abilities and are practiced enough ourselves to instruct on it.

I have also got it pre purchased.
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Wholeheartedly agree that we need to have a few minimums re this bird. I don't think I fly anywhere near as much as most of you, but in intend to be able to take off an land reasonably well in fairly short time. I won't say that I will master it as master is a word that is simply too big for me and DCS.

Once I can fly this sucker and land again I will then move to weapons but I don't want to do that too soon.

I have pre purchased as well.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have also pre-ordered, but don’t expect to see me in the cockpit, until I have done ground school. And these days my uptake rate is low.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul Gillon
Site Admin

Post by Paul Gillon »

The reason why I'm asking about numbers is that I also think this is the perfect OCU testing ground.
And in agreement with Neil, there's the need for dicussion and getting our collective ideas out there on how we get the best out of this opportunity.

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Good to know we're all on the same page here. 5 of us so far it seems then.

Until we get hold of the module, it'll be hard to predict any kind of time line, but I for one will be burning the fuel and water - and probably the midnight oil getting to grips with STOVL.

I suggest we set up a multiplayer mission with 2 flights of Harriers, a few inert ground targets as a proving ground. We can get together online to compare notes there, and help each other out a little.

How many of us have helicopter hours in our background? I think that'll accelerate the learning curve - at least in the jet borne aspect of the flight envelope.
ImageImageImage

Paul Gillon
Site Admin

Post by Paul Gillon »

Neil,

I've managed to get to grips with the Huey a few times, I then leave it for a few months and have to start again.

I was going to suggest that the Harrier multiplayer mission don't have targets included until we gain a certain level of proficiency or are part of a OCU training sortie -
this doesn't stop anybody from practicing on their own time but might stop us from running before we can walk.

I was also thinking that, if possible, the OCU and training flights are conducted on NTTR before moving to operation theatres.

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I have a bit of experience with the Huey and Gazelle.

I will set the currant generic mission up for the Harrier Friday in the hope it releases (however if it doesn't it just saves me time ready for release in the future). I will add it to the triggers so it can take part in all tasks but from there it becomes optional for the pilots, otherwise I will have to add them eventually anyway it just saves multiple scripting sessions.
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

The presence of targets just gives the option to practice with them Paul. They won't mean you have to be weapons proficient to use the mission.

Can you add a couple of carriers to the Generic mission too please Matt? There should be one bundled with the Harrier, but whether it is available on the pre-release version remains to be seen of course. There are some different versions of the Mistral mod we can use in the meantime I think.

I have a feeling the Air-Sea rescue unit will be very busy!
ImageImageImage

Return to “AV-8B Harrier”