first fully blind f18 case 3

Post by fly_george »

it was bloody bumpy but i somhow managed to save it
https://youtu.be/bEUgKQo52v8
'paddles contact'

fly_george

Re: first fully blind f18 case 3

Post by fly_george »

a small update, having about 1000 feet visibility fog in the editor is minimum for a safe landing for now as anything lower and you will get a ball at far to late, the video above is done at roughly half that
'paddles contact'

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Nice approach.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Did my first full Case III, at night, albeit in clear conditions.

Hold was OK - 30 AoB turns at 250 kias, at 10k were taking 1:30. So, need to fly outbound for just 30 secs to make it a 2 min. Bit of rapid mental DR required to make good an accurate approach time. Auto-throttle helped enormously with holding 250 kias on the nose - about the only bit of the F/A-18 autopilot that I like.

In the 4000 fpm let down I should have used airbrakes - it might have stopped the ATC dropping out with the throttles closed.

Arcing from the 210 radial onto the FB was difficult. I think I will turn before the 15 nm DME in future. As a consequence I bonged my 1200 ft level off by 100 ft (A FAIL!). And I was barely steady on the FB by 6 nm DME.

Never saw the ICLS indications. It was set up so I need to find out why it never appeared.

Nice clear night, so saw the Christmas lights well out. A lot easy sorting out the on-speed and line up in such a leisurely run-in. Then I dropped just a bit low in the last 50 ft (AGAIN!) so picked up the 2-wire.

Nearly 50 years ago, I used to quite enjoy making the final ILS approach, at night, in marginal weather after a 10 or 12 hr leg. Nearly as satisfying this time around!

I still need to fly a few more before I set to work on the Case III SOPs, although they should be more straightforward than the Case I/II.
Image Image Image Image

fly_george

Post by fly_george »

good to hear, the f-18 will be my favorite aircraft in dcs once we get a/g capabilities
'paddles contact'

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

George, I tried again, and still cannot get the ICLS indications. Is there anything I must do on the UFC other than:

Selecting ILS
Entering 11 and ENT
Entering ON

Is there any more I should do during the actual approach?
Image Image Image Image

fly_george

Post by fly_george »

you need to select it on the HSI as well
'paddles contact'

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Of course!!! I knew that, unfortunately that was yesterday, and my brain is very definitely short term memory.

Thanks, George.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “F/A-18C Hornet”